Home » Audio » General » OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac!
OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #2728] Mon, 13 February 2006 19:42 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just have to tell someone how much I love my new iMac.

Hello new PC's! [message #2731 is a reply to message #2728] Tue, 14 February 2006 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Just bought two more Dells, new desktop and laptop. Added wireless to connect all the PC's in the house. Now I can listen to music on my audio system and work on my PC, don't have to choose between the two anymore and doubled my productivity. Just wanted to respond with how pleased I am with my new PC's.

Sorry,could not resist.

Re: OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #2732 is a reply to message #2728] Tue, 14 February 2006 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Sigh....

Yes, I know MAC's are slick, and don't use software from the devil incarnate -- BG. I also realize that there are some app's where the MAC works far better than a Windows machine. But I don't use those app's. Problem is the app's I do use just aren't available for MAC.If I had a MAC, I'd have to run a Windows emulator on top of the OS.

As far as virus protection, I'm running Firefox and Thunderbird, which at the moment are immune to all of the attacks on IE and OE. Of course, Firefox now has a double digit share of the market, so the attacks will come. MAC's won't have that problem.

Bob

Re: OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #2733 is a reply to message #2732] Tue, 14 February 2006 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Bob,

My father (retired EE who spent most of his career working with computers and codes) is a big MAC proponent. What I find interesting is listening to his long list of operating system upgrades and hardware problems. I would say that in the past 10 years, his down time and software/operating system/hardware problems has been far greater then mine has been on my PCs. My conclusion is that MACs are an interesting option for some people with specific needs but are not more or less reliable, easy to use, or better built compared to my personal inventory of Gateway/Quantex/Dell PCs.

Martin

Re: OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #2736 is a reply to message #2728] Tue, 14 February 2006 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like both platforms. I liked Apple best in the early 1980's, back when they were still open architecture. Always thought Microsoft was the follower, not the leader. But then those two companies swapped sides. Apple became less open, and PC's became more. Microsoft became much more technically sophisticated than they used to be. Both companies have gone a long way since the days when Jobs and Wozniak ran Apple and Gates talked Microsoft's way into the IBM PC.

Re: OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #65430 is a reply to message #2736] Mon, 27 December 2010 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woodfree is currently offline  woodfree
Baron
With their reputation for putting out quality products, I would have to say that your excitement over your iMac is understable. I read somewhere that the Macbook is currently the No.1 computer in the US in terms of sales. That tells you something about Apple's reputation for excellence. I've always wanted a Macbook for myself! Smile
Re: OT: Good-bye PC, Hello iMac! [message #65431 is a reply to message #65430] Mon, 27 December 2010 17:08 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
woodfree wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 11:43
With their reputation for putting out quality products, I would have to say that your excitement over your iMac is understable. I read somewhere that the Macbook is currently the No.1 computer in the US in terms of sales. That tells you something about Apple's reputation for excellence. I've always wanted a Macbook for myself! Smile

But as someone alluded to earlier, look at their market share. There are hundreds of companies making Win laptops and one making Mac. Using the popularity of one specific product to suggest that Apple s making better products is bit of a red herring and is Apple's style of bragging too. I Don't like the company myself after using a woefully mediocre and expensive machine of theirs for a few years. Jobs' reputation as a slave driver doesn't help either.

Previous Topic: What's the Verdict on the iPad?
Next Topic: Houston Audio Society January 8th Meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:39:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout