Home » Audio » General » Blu Ray
Blu Ray [message #26866] Tue, 11 September 2007 15:17 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
What is Blu Ray you ask?

"Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience."

http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Re: Blu Ray [message #26868 is a reply to message #26866] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think this is the best format right now, but just like VHS was more popular than the higher-performance Betamax format, this is no guarantee of success. We'll see.

Re: Blu Ray [message #26873 is a reply to message #26868] Tue, 23 October 2007 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I agree that it is the best format right now too. I know that this sort of technology is expensive. I was thinking of buying this technology soon. A bluray disc burner for the computer and a blueray player for the T.V.

Crystal

Re: Blu Ray [message #62678 is a reply to message #26873] Fri, 14 May 2010 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TLC123 is currently offline  TLC123
Chancellor
Is blu ray really worth the money? Can you tell the difference in the picture compared to a regular dvd picture? I don't want to spend the money if the dvd picture is just a good.
Re: Blu Ray [message #63249 is a reply to message #62678] Thu, 24 June 2010 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
TLC123 wrote on Fri, 14 May 2010 21:44
Is blu ray really worth the money? Can you tell the difference in the picture compared to a regular dvd picture? I don't want to spend the money if the dvd picture is just a good.

Blu ray is rather expensive but it is expected to fall in prices rather rapidly and soon replace normal DVDs. You can tell the difference in quality if your TV or screen supports the resolution. So maybe it is better to focus on getting a good screen/TV first. Hope this helps.
Re: Blu Ray [message #63264 is a reply to message #62678] Sat, 26 June 2010 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
I received a Blu-Ray player for Christmas and it is really cool. The movies look great on my HDTV. Even the non Blu_rays are up-converted and look and sound better. I would say they are definitely worth it.

My player is not a top end one and sells for less than $150. If Redbox starts renting Blu-Rays soon, you will be able get a high end experience for very little money.
Re: Blu Ray [message #65394 is a reply to message #63264] Wed, 22 December 2010 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woodfree is currently offline  woodfree
Baron
I can remember when DVD was the future of movies and I was just getting into enjoying my video CDs! Whew! We really have come a long way!

Blu-Ray is definitely top-notch! I saw a scene of "Batman: The Dark Knight" on Blu-Ray - I'll tell you, it was so good I felt like I was seeing this inside a movie theater! I just happened to pass by on a video store!

The problem is it's still too expensive for the average buyer. That's why I still love DVDs! Smile
Re: Blu Ray [message #65459 is a reply to message #65394] Wed, 29 December 2010 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
Santa did not bring me the Blu-Ray I asked for. Fortunately, I got enough gift certificates to get it on my own. I am going to wait for the newspaper on Sunday and see if they put a good one on sale.
Re: Blu Ray [message #65535 is a reply to message #65459] Mon, 03 January 2011 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Connie is currently offline  Connie
Esquire
Clueless - I lucked out the same way! Santa brought me two GPS gizmos, so I took one back to the store and they gave me a gift card. I am holding onto my gift card while I figure out the best Blu-Ray player.

Anyone have a suggestion on a brand?

To teach is to touch the mind of today's youth.
Re: Blu Ray [message #65661 is a reply to message #26866] Wed, 12 January 2011 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JessieF88 is currently offline  JessieF88
Esquire
Before I tried blu-ray I was initially sceptical as to how much difference there would be, mainly because my partner and I purchased a HD TV and didn't see that much of a difference. However, since we purchased one at Christmas I am totally sold! I'm slowly building up my blu-ray collection and replacing my standard DVD's with blu-ray ones.

I've noticed an increasing number of my friends purchasing 3D TV's etc and they have said that 3D DVD's have now emerged, but they are quite expensive. Does anyone think that 3D will take over blu-ray in terms of popularity any time soon? Or is blu-ray still novel enough to stand up to it?
Previous Topic: Highest Quality Speakers
Next Topic: Video Game Chairs/Rockers- enhance gaming with audio?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:23:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio