Home » Audio » Home Theater » Lighting For Home Theater
Lighting For Home Theater [message #65366] Sun, 19 December 2010 11:23 Go to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
Do we need dim lights for our home theaters or should we not have any lights when watching movies at home? My mother told me that our eyes will be damaged if we watch movies in the dark.
Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65367 is a reply to message #65366] Sun, 19 December 2010 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ever notice lighting in the theater?

Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65414 is a reply to message #65366] Fri, 24 December 2010 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Having bright lights reflected on a screen or any surface for that matter is what will damage your eyes. It's like having a high pitched squeal at all times to your eyes. Since my astigmatism has gotten worse over the years I really notice it now.

The old "reading in the dark" myth is classic, but it's still completely untrue.

Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65464 is a reply to message #65367] Thu, 30 December 2010 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 11:50

Ever notice lighting in the theater?

The only lights I see when watching a movie inside the theater is exit sign. So I would assume that it would be best to turn off the lights for our home theaters as well.
Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65748 is a reply to message #65366] Tue, 18 January 2011 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
We always turn the lights out when watching movies on TV. The brightness of the screen is better of course but it also tends to add to the movie mood environment. I never really thought about this before when comparing to a theater. Guess that's one of the reasons we don't go to the theater as much anymore. We can simulate the movie environment in our own home. Cool $$$$avings.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65760 is a reply to message #65366] Tue, 18 January 2011 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lighting can have a drastic effect on your mood. Use that knowledge to you advantage and play it by ear. As long as there are no glares on the screen, you really can't go wrong.

Re: Lighting For Home Theater [message #65829 is a reply to message #65366] Mon, 24 January 2011 20:01 Go to previous message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
I can't see why our eyes will get damaged when watching movies in the dark. What may strain the eyes is the sudden flash of a camera in the dark. That hardly describes the way a movie casts images on screen.
Previous Topic: Mixing brands
Next Topic: What Are the Possibilities?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:17:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout