Home » Audio » Home Theater » 3D TVs
3D TVs [message #65122] Thu, 02 December 2010 17:25 Go to next message
Hoptoit is currently offline  Hoptoit
Baron
Does anyone have a 3D TV? Or are you planning on getting one soon? I don't have one and I don't think I want one. I wonder if the picture is all distorted or if you have to wear special glasses?
Re: 3D TVs [message #65133 is a reply to message #65122] Fri, 03 December 2010 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corded is currently offline  Corded
Chancellor
I saw one set up at a Best Buy, and the picture was distorted until you put the glasses on. I'm not sure if some have a setting where you can watch programs "normally," but then again, what would the point of a 3D TV be, then?

Until more TV programs and movies are offered in 3D, I'm not even thinking about it.
Re: 3D TVs [message #65152 is a reply to message #65122] Fri, 03 December 2010 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aki is currently offline  Aki
Baron
I have been wondering about 3D TV myself. If anyone has these 3D TV, would be interested in hearing how it's working out.

I wear glasses and I'd have to wear those 3D glasses over it. It doesn't provide for all that great of a viewing experience, not to mention how hilarious I look with a crooked 3D glass over my regular one.
Re: 3D TVs [message #65562 is a reply to message #65122] Tue, 04 January 2011 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manilyn is currently offline  Manilyn
Esquire
I really, really want to get a 3D TV. I have seen them a few times when I've been to places like Apple (I think it was) and Best Buy. They are so neat. They even had a little kiosk set up at the local mall and I wanted to sit in there and watch a whole movie haha. Eventually, I will get one but it may take years. It's not on the top of my to-do list.
Re: 3D TVs [message #65608 is a reply to message #65122] Thu, 06 January 2011 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I've not yet viewed a 3D TV, but my guess is that they are still on the primitive side. Kind of like the first TV, with black and white pictures and a small screen. Isn't 3D TV more like the first step in Virtual Reality? Or possibly the visual equivalent to surround sound? (okay, maybe not equivalent, but headed in that direction)

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: 3D TVs [message #65614 is a reply to message #65122] Fri, 07 January 2011 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After playing around with stereographs, 3D is far far better at texture. Texture looks real in 3-D, not like a pattern.

If they could just get that one thing right and forget the jumping out the screen non-sense, people would be eager to buy after seeing how subtle, yet hugely significant the difference is.

Since our eyes are never fully 100% in focus and one of them must be out a tiny bit, why not just project two images at a very slight angle difference and your eye will naturally "lock on" to each dimension in the picture without having to strain your eyes as much as traditional stereographic images.

It isn't what "Jaws 3D" had in mind in the 80's but it is the realistic portrayal of the images people are after, not the flash in the pan effects.

Re: 3D TVs [message #65647 is a reply to message #65122] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
I like watching 3D movies inside the theaters but I haven't tried watching 3D inside a house. I won't buy a 3D TV until I've experienced it for myself. Besides, I think there are only a few TV shows that portray 3D.
Re: 3D TVs [message #65687 is a reply to message #65614] Fri, 14 January 2011 09:58 Go to previous message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Adveser wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 02:22
After playing around with stereographs, 3D is far far better at texture. Texture looks real in 3-D, not like a pattern.

If they could just get that one thing right and forget the jumping out the screen non-sense, people would be eager to buy after seeing how subtle, yet hugely significant the difference is.

Since our eyes are never fully 100% in focus and one of them must be out a tiny bit, why not just project two images at a very slight angle difference and your eye will naturally "lock on" to each dimension in the picture without having to strain your eyes as much as traditional stereographic images.

It isn't what "Jaws 3D" had in mind in the 80's but it is the realistic portrayal of the images people are after, not the flash in the pan effects.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I totally agree. This would be a great measure for advancement in this format. If people can see an improvement such as this, I'm sure the sales would increase. I could see how this would improve 3D for home.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Previous Topic: Looking for a Flat Panel HD TV
Next Topic: Mixing brands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:48:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers