Home » Audio » General » Are iPods obsolete?
Are iPods obsolete? [message #64885] Wed, 24 November 2010 21:04 Go to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
As the electronics are getting smaller, are the original iPods getting obsolete? My mom is not too happy with her iTouch because she now has to learn how to use it. She was used to the iPods wheel as weird as it sounds. Now the the nanos, and the iTouch and iPad, are they on the way out? I still have my 3rd iPod where I have all my music and audiobooks.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64892 is a reply to message #64885] Thu, 25 November 2010 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't believe IPods, at least the hard drive versions are obsolete yet. Until they develop one that has 160GB flash drive I think they're still very useful.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64896 is a reply to message #64892] Thu, 25 November 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XGamer is currently offline  XGamer
Chancellor
I'm with Shane. I think iPods are far from becoming obsolete, despite the fact that I'm not too fond of them myself. Even with the new versions coming out, the iPod design is still basically the same and remains strong.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64906 is a reply to message #64885] Fri, 26 November 2010 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet gal is currently offline  sweet gal
Esquire
I agree with shane, there's no way that the iPod will become obsolete. Manufacturers will only make more designs, but definitely it will remain as iPod. Will you agree with me?
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64908 is a reply to message #64885] Fri, 26 November 2010 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think they were obsolete as a stationary sound source since their inception. I've been using winamp since 2001 and couldn't be happier. The sound quality on these things is just not acceptable nor can it be micromanaged the way I like Smile

I'm waiting until netbooks get small enough to replace them until I really worry about portable music. It's getting close, definitely the new tech is still going to be able to load Windows XP for some time with "customized" versions of the OS slipstreaming driver support for technology not even compatible with the OS.

I'm running XP right now on a computer built for Vista that instantly BSODs when attempting to even install official versions of XP due to hardware incompatibilities.

It's an open secret that XP has become the new Linux in a way with multiple builds floating around. Bill Gates could care less too. He knows you probably bought a copy of his newest OS when you bought your computer anyway, it doesn't matter to themif you wipe the HDD and install an older version.

Sorry to get a bit sidetracked, but there are a ton of options that will work for a long long time that make ipods look like a Sony Walkman tape player technologically and quality wise. There have been cell phone sized computers running full on XP for a few years as well.

This is another area that I hate to sound snobbish about, but I don't see audio enthusiasts embracing it at all. The "audiophile" ipod that was released at some point was laughably bad when reviewed by sound experts.

Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64916 is a reply to message #64908] Fri, 26 November 2010 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ah, but we're not talking about high end sound quality are we? We're talking about whether they are obsolete. I know that I'm not going to exercise with my netbook under my arm, or drive around with my laptop connected to my car system,etc.......

There are many, many users of IPod and the like over at the headphone forums that have made it an art wrestling the best sound out of these units by modification and tweaking. I think they might disagree with you. I've heard more headphone rigs that use a portable music player as a source that sound WAY better than many hi-fi rigs I've had the pleasure of hearing, including some of those "high-end" ones at RMAF and such. Just don't use mp3 rips on it and use the damn line out, not the headphone jack.

I hate Winamp. It's a PITA to get set up like you want and everytime I look it's trying to upgrade on me, changes my layout when I accidentally click the wrong spot, frustrating as hell. I prefer Foobar or Quuxplaey over Winamp anyday. Winamp seems to be for people who like to make fancy visual presentations of their player.

If I had the programming ability I'd never use a Microsoft product again. Their platforms suck and have more bugs than a $2 hotel.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64979 is a reply to message #64885] Mon, 29 November 2010 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jane66 is currently offline  jane66
Chancellor
I hope not becuase I have two iPods with about 150 songs on each of them. But I do think the traditional iPod will be challenged a lot by the newer iTouch and iPad devices.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64990 is a reply to message #64885] Mon, 29 November 2010 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rap14 is currently offline  Rap14
Baron
I don't think iPods are going to be obsolete. I think they just keep coming out with better iPods, just like everything else, technology advances and something better is put on the market.

I don't have an iPad and I don't plan on buying into it either. It's too big for me.

Bee Bop Bee Bop!
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #64991 is a reply to message #64990] Mon, 29 November 2010 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Rap14 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2010 18:51
I don't think iPods are going to be obsolete. I think they just keep coming out with better iPods, just like everything else, technology advances and something better is put on the market.

I don't have an iPad and I don't plan on buying into it either. It's too big for me.

I know IPad's do other things than let you read books, but the whole Kindle, nook thing is not my cup of tea. I like to hold an old fashioned print typed paper book when I read. Just the tactile sensation of it, turning the pages, is it for me.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65004 is a reply to message #64885] Tue, 30 November 2010 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Joelle is currently offline  Joelle
Chancellor
iPods will never be obsolete so long as there's a market for each new model that Apple produces - and Apple are consummate marketeers, they'll milk the markets for some years to come.

Joelle
Previous Topic: Microphone Feedback
Next Topic: Big News!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:43:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers