Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Playlist For the last week of Februrary.
Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6483 is a reply to message #6482] Mon, 27 February 2006 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, early songs are good, classics, although I was not a Elvis fan...

Re: Why not [message #6484 is a reply to message #6481] Mon, 27 February 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I can listen to almost anything musical. I cannot understand Progressive Jazz so I don't care for it. If I had a better musical education it might make a difference. I also don't care for Opera and again mostly because I don't understand the words and I prefer instrumentals over vocals. Hip Hop is the last genre I don't listen to. My step-dad was a drummer so I grew up listening to all kinds of music from the 40's onward. Some of my peers thought I was really strange because I was in my 20's and had Mantovani, Raymond LeFevre, Gunther Kallman Chorus (with bells )and lots of other wierd to them LP's. Along with The Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.
I realize this is probably a lot more information than you wanted to know I just thought it might give you some insight into the person you talk to now and then on this board.
I really enjoy this board as I learn a lot from reading the posts here. I just wish I could contribute something worthwhile now and then. If you ever need any advice on hydraulic turbine repair maybe I can help

Sorry to intrude [message #6485 is a reply to message #6483] Mon, 27 February 2006 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I noticed a Elvis fan in the group. I'm not a big fan but just wanted you to hear the best cover ever of an Elvis song. It's a group called Cheap Trick and they cover "Don't be Cruel" and the musical interplay is top notch. They are a group I heard on the classic rock radio station and bought a cd of theirs. The live in Toyko cd is their best I was told. Also on that cd is the best version of The Beattles "Magical Mystery Tour" I've ever heard. Anway, back to your regularly scheduled thread

Re: Why not [message #6486 is a reply to message #6484] Tue, 28 February 2006 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Music is Music; hell, I still occasionally listen to The Sons Of The Pioneers.
"Cool Water"
"Riders In The Sky."

I am not familiar with Gunther or Raymond but I still like 'ole Hank Williams. And Peter Duchin.

If you hear some music you like; tell us and describe it on the music forum. Thats why we are here; or at least it's why we should be here. I can't think of any other reason to post to audio boards unless it is music. And there is not enough music talked about on ART. And all music is relevant; you got Hawaian Slack Key records; I want to hear about them. How about old Polka tunes from Albert Mikesh and the Polka Trio? Your short contribution regarding what music you like and why is worth more to most people than a hundred paragraphs about things people bought.
And tell us about musical experiences; concerts, places you were when music made some kind of statement. When it moved you or had some other effect on your life. What darn good is an amp or speakers if the music isn't important to you. Or you have nothing to say about it.

No real hi-fi fan cares about music... [message #6487 is a reply to message #6486] Tue, 28 February 2006 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...it`s the sound that`s important!
(Once more

Re: I've got this axial flow turbine, and... [message #6488 is a reply to message #6484] Tue, 28 February 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...I'm having trouble correllating blade lean to the stacking line. Any suggestions?

Re: No real hi-fi fan cares about music... [message #6489 is a reply to message #6487] Tue, 28 February 2006 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That appears to be the case alright. Please point me to a review of good music. Please.
Maybe the band X?

Re: No real hi-fi fan cares about music... [message #6490 is a reply to message #6489] Tue, 28 February 2006 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Huh, MB - the wrong number, sorry. I don`t have a large CD/LP collection any more, no turntable any more, just a few CDs.
These days (last few weeks) I listened to various music probably 5-6 hours a day, about more then in last 10 years together - because of various tubes/drivers "auditioning".
I rarely play, and don`t do recording, although still have most of the equipment.
The most of the music that I liked before I found silly today, sorry.
And I can`t listen to the band "X", too.

"Getting old isn`t for chickens"

Re: No real hi-fi fan cares about music... [message #6491 is a reply to message #6490] Tue, 28 February 2006 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I know what you are saying. I can listen to one rock record and reminicse but the only music I can take seriously anymore is Jazz. As I got older I find that I can hear what some of the guys are saying now. Not a lot but some understanding gets through. Unfortuneatly the more I find I understand the more I realise I don't know much. Very humbling.

Re: I've got this axial flow turbine, and... [message #6492 is a reply to message #6488] Tue, 28 February 2006 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
I'm having trouble correllating a stacking line on a horizontal turbine I remember when one of our esteemed engineers was overseeing a rewinding contract and let the contractor reshape the stator sections. I asked him if he realized what had happened by doing that and he looked at me quizzically. I told him not only have you just lost mechanical center of that unit, but the electrical center will change as well and you'd better pray that electrical center doesn't wind up rubbing the draft tube wall. Plus when I have to figure out how to ream the dowel holes through 6" of steel in place your attaboy will go out the window He bought me several dinners after I managed to get the machine back in place and drop the dowels in with the help of some 50 ton hydraulic jacks.

Previous Topic: The Passing Of Barney Fife
Next Topic: Playlist for the week Ending 3/6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:56:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout