Home » Audio » Speaker » Computer Speakers for TV?
Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64771] Fri, 19 November 2010 22:18 Go to next message
DrumRoll is currently offline  DrumRoll
Chancellor
The speakers that I have on my computer produces deep rich sound. Is there a way to connect computer speakers and woofer to a receiver for my TV and home theater system?
Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64774 is a reply to message #64771] Sat, 20 November 2010 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes. Tell me what connections you have in the back of your TV for audio output and tell me what connections the speakers have. It is very easy to do. Are you using an outboard reciever/amplifier or just the amplifier hidden inside of the speakers?

Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64776 is a reply to message #64771] Sat, 20 November 2010 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Is this the one you are looking for? http://service.pcconnection.com/images/inhouse/4793386.jpg

I found this connector here.

Still, I also would like to know what type of connections you have for us to tell you exactly what you can buy.
Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64792 is a reply to message #64774] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I was given a Sony STR-DE425 receiver that's about 10 years old. It has bare wire snap locks for the speakers. I have an extra pair of Altec Lansing computer speakers that connect to a sub-woofer with a 9-pin connector. I was hoping there might be a way to connect the sub-woofer with its single pin connector to the receiver. Do I need a cable-converter to accomplish this... does one even exist?
Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64793 is a reply to message #64771] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
does the 9-pin connector hook up the speakers? that usually how these things are configured. If not, was it plugging into to work? I wouldn't do anything unless you know if any of the speakers or the sub is drawing "phantom power" from another component. If everything is passive, you can simply cut wires and twist the right connector into place and ground down the unnecessary poles on the 9-pin connector. The fact they are there suggests something is sending power to something else.

Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64841 is a reply to message #64793] Tue, 23 November 2010 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Actually, the 9-pin connector comes from the right speaker and attaches to the the woofer. The woofer has a power cord and a standard audio connector to the computer.

I forgot to mention that the Sony receiver has a connection for both a woofer and speakers. So, I think from what you are saying, is that I should just cut off the audio connector on the woofer as well as the speakers to use the bare wires to make the connection to the receiver?
Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #64846 is a reply to message #64771] Tue, 23 November 2010 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No. I think what is going on here is that the system is using it's own crossover to decide what gets sent to the sub and what gets sent to the speakers. Don't try to dismantle anything like that. I'm assuming you have a 1/8th plug on the end. Why not plug it into the headphone jack with a 1/4 adapter? That is your best bet to get the results you want. Dismantling a 2.1 system into separate components is probably not going to work. At the very least you are going to have impedance issues with the speakers and stereo cables of that type usually share a negative pole unless they are professional quality (like Sony's MDR-7506's, each speaker has it's own ground to prevent crosstalk) so there is no way to wire them into the speaker output really.

Use the headphones jack, since the whole configuration has only one "input" being a 1/8th like you would plug into a sound card.

If there is no headphone jack, you have a real catch 22 here that will probably need to be remedied with a FEMALE 1/8th to RCA adapter, which you can hook up to the TV and take the receiver out of the chain. I hooked up a pair of computer speakers to a TV recently myself to try them out. They really aren't going to need the extra power the amp will provide in most cases.

Re: Computer Speakers for TV? [message #65037 is a reply to message #64846] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:37 Go to previous message
Chancellor
A big thanks Advesor.... I tried it and it works well. This is a great backup option for our surround sound system. I actually have one speaker that is out, which means I will have to climb in the attic to see if it is a loose wire. But I like these two small speakers in the front of the TV because it definitely sounds better than the TV speakers, and not quite an earful as the surround sound speakers. Don't know why I never thought of this... which is why sites such as these are so helpful!
Previous Topic: Speakers for around the pool
Next Topic: Flat Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:40:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout