Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Playlist For the last week of Februrary.
Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6473] Sun, 26 February 2006 09:38 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
1. Later That Same Year- Mathews Southern Comfort
2. Playing The Fool-Gentle Giant Live
3. John Barleycorn Must Die-Traffic
4. 6 Brandenburg Concerti-J.S. Bach; Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra of Munich
5. Without A Song;/9/11 Concert-Sonny Rollins
6. Evolve-AniDifranco

Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6474 is a reply to message #6473] Sun, 26 February 2006 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Chuck Berry and Little Richard, 2 disc set. That, and test tones / some classic / Jazz / Samples test/reference CD...

Why not [message #6475 is a reply to message #6473] Sun, 26 February 2006 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Get a copy of Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia and give your ears a real treat? Some of the lyrics will have you trying to find the meaning of them Also his Shangra-La is excellent along with the before mentioned Neck & Neck with Chet Atkins.

Re: Why not [message #6476 is a reply to message #6475] Sun, 26 February 2006 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Will do MWG; so; what else is on your playlist lately?

Re: Why not [message #6477 is a reply to message #6476] Sun, 26 February 2006 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I seem to be moving towards more mellow music. Must be old age I listen to Van Morrison's newest Magic Time and some of his older stuff a lot. Like Astral Weeks and a best of comp that has a lot of his ballads on it. I also listen to some vinyl and noticed that I can't hardly handle LZ anymore. I did find Gerry Raffertys 3 lps kind of nice to listen to. I had a cd I borrowed from the library that was classical selctions featuring French Horn. To hear any kind of horn through my Altecs is music to my ears I just really like French & Flugel horns.
For vocals I like John Prine, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot and Bonnie Raiit. It's more for their lyrics than voices. I think the best US lyricist is John Prine. To me nobody can touch Lightfoot for making a metaphor appear in your mind. Just Listen to The Ballad pf the Yermouth Castle and I can picture the ship dying.

Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6478 is a reply to message #6473] Sun, 26 February 2006 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Damn good picks, think I'll spin 'em too.   Groovy.  

Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6479 is a reply to message #6473] Mon, 27 February 2006 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
LP's:
Mecca For Moderns The Manhattan Transfer; side one might keep you from discovering the masterpiece that is side 2; and, to judge from the Rhino Greatest Hits CD, digital was especially unkind to this quartet
The Who Sell Out I was there (well, listening) the night one of the 'pirates' was boarded
Back To Basie And The Blues The Count, His Orchestra and Joe Williams, vocals; Williams succeeded Jimmy Rushing in 1960 and was more of a Blues singer

CD's:
The Rite Of Spring, Stravinsky, has gone from test CD to solid favorite
Arvo Part, Untitled BIS-CD-434: kind of a greatest hits of this composer; I never heard of him before listening to the third movement of his Third Symphony on NPR during the broadcast of the memorial service for the 9/11 victims from the National Cathedral; I'm somehow appreciating dissonance in my old age and love the Cello Concerto; I just wish the BIS engineers hadn't panned everything to the right!
Michael Murray; The Organ At St. Sulpice, Paris, Telarc SACD-60516: I'm using this hybrid sacd to test the champagne redbook player against the beer budget sacd player. It's also useful for checking the results of installing bass traps. The St. Sulpice goes waaay deep with outstanding tone; otherwise, it's as boring as any other organ music!
Hits Joni Mitchell, Reprise 9 46326-2: Mostly early stuff and so well re-mastered you can clearly hear the girlish vs. the more mature tone of her voice; both Joni's are without peer and my all-time favorite artist

Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6480 is a reply to message #6479] Mon, 27 February 2006 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have an old live recording of Joannie playing a club in Toronto when she was about 20. A little raw but what a songlist. And great enthusiasm. Too bad about the smoking cigarrettes; her voice is just about shot.

Re: Why not [message #6481 is a reply to message #6477] Mon, 27 February 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; you are correct, John Prine is the best. Angels From Montgomery with Bonnie Raitt and Speed of THe Sound Of Loneliness. Hello In There and Sam Stone.
I think you have some pretty good voices collected there. They would never make it onto itunes as hits nowadays; but then most pop musicians suck nowadays so who cares?
Gordon Lightfoot; I used to listen to The Canadian Railroad Trilogy every day; he's a true folk singer. I just remmember the opening bars to "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerrald"; that they played on the radio fifty times a day that year. Good Stuff.

Re: Playlist For the last week of Februrary. [message #6482 is a reply to message #6474] Mon, 27 February 2006 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Damir; do you like the early Elvis stuff; with Scotty Moore on guitar? He had that great choppy rock thing going on. How about Shuggie Otis?

Previous Topic: The Passing Of Barney Fife
Next Topic: Playlist for the week Ending 3/6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:58:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout