Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sub Crossover
Sub Crossover [message #64672] Sat, 13 November 2010 18:13 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, do you still use the little Pyle unit for a crossover from your pre to the SS amps? Only one with split output signal, or two units (one for each amp and sub)?
Re: Sub Crossover [message #64674 is a reply to message #64672] Sat, 13 November 2010 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I still use this crossover. I tried several different units but settled on this one.
They're definitely not something I have on display like the amps - more a dirty little secret. But in truth, they work better than anything else I've tried. The mods make a huge difference too, raising the bar to a high level of quality. Can't tell it from looking at them though. Laughing

Remember that you posted the link to the little daughterboards? I ended up buying a bunch of those and retrofitting a couple crossovers with them. I still have the first one I did with the point-to-point perfboard modules, but I had to give the daughterboards a try. It's handy to have a couple of them anayway, so you can run a pair of flanking subs at a fairly high low-pass frequency and have the option of running another pair of subs further away at a lower low-pass. Besides, the cost of entry is real low. Smile

Re: Sub Crossover [message #64683 is a reply to message #64674] Sun, 14 November 2010 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So just split the outgoing signal from one crossover unit to two subs?
Re: Sub Crossover [message #64684 is a reply to message #64683] Sun, 14 November 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I took the L/R preamp level signals (going to my main amp) and ran it into the sub crossover. The input impedance is very high, so it's an easy load on the source. It's a two channel crossover, providing two outputs corresponding to the two inputs. They're independent channels, but in most cases, low frequencies are very similar on both channels. Still, I maintain their independence and don't aggregate all channels to one sub channel.

Re: Sub Crossover [message #64685 is a reply to message #64684] Sun, 14 November 2010 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I see. I thought you were running two seperate amps, one for each sub?
Re: Sub Crossover [message #64689 is a reply to message #64685] Sun, 14 November 2010 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I am. I run each through its own seperate 50w FET monoblock.

Re: Sub Crossover [message #64692 is a reply to message #64689] Sun, 14 November 2010 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So do you run a y connector from the crossover to the amp. I guess I'm having a hard time grasping the connection from the crossover to the amps. Rolling Eyes

Since there is a single RCA output for the left and right from the crossover, are you only using the left or right input on each amp?

Wait till those cheapy subs get here and I really start bugging you Very Happy Still thinking of compromising with the Pi3 sub cabinet, sealed, with a removable front baffle for later "upgrading".

I did find some cheap 115W plate amps for $35 + shipping. But those will have to wait till after xmas to order. Hopefully they'll still be around otherwise I'll have to figure out something else.
Re: Sub Crossover [message #64695 is a reply to message #64692] Sun, 14 November 2010 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My preamp has two outputs for each channel, so in my case, I just connect one to the mains and the other to the subs. But it can just as easily be done with a Y-splitter. Go from the source to the preamp and from there to the sub crossover and to the mains. You'll want a volume control between the source and the amps, because that will control both mains and sub volume. That's really the only reason I use a preamp/buffer - I need something with a volume control. It's nice to have a switcher and wireless remote too.

Re: Sub Crossover [message #64706 is a reply to message #64695] Mon, 15 November 2010 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hmmmm, I may have to look into one of Uriah's controls this spring.

Although, I've got most of the parts to build one of the little preamps that Richard Gray brought to LSAF a couple of years ago and was using in Duke's room.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2008/Photos/AudioKinesis_05.jpg
Re: Sub Crossover [message #64712 is a reply to message #64695] Mon, 15 November 2010 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, what is the amp/voltage rating on the wallwart you are using?
Previous Topic: 2Pi questions
Next Topic: Two Pi tower speaker pics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 17:07:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout