Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi2 and woofer directivity
Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64540] Thu, 28 October 2010 14:15 Go to next message
RDLewis is currently offline  RDLewis
Chancellor
Hello Wayne,

Over the years you have written many pages on matching sensitivities, phase, directivity, etc, using 2way woofer/CD horn systems, but I have not seen a lot in a similar vain on the Pi1 and 2?

You discribed the crossover of the "1" and "2", as using a "pseudo" first order for the bass levels off the rising Fq response and a cap and shunt resistor on the tweeter. I presume this goes someway to getting the phase right(?). But I would be very interested know how you set out to achieve your favored "controlled directivity" with a domed tweeter? Or had other objectives with above?

You have mentioned that Pi2 Towers are in regular use in one of your systems and I see they are at the top of the list of best sellers. So how do they compare with the more expensive proper CD Horn in imaging and control?

I would be grateful if you could enlighten us all.

Thanks

Roy
Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64542 is a reply to message #64540] Thu, 28 October 2010 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The one π, two π and two π tower speakers are popular for three reasons: (1) They sound good, (2) are inexpensive and (3) efficient. They provide plenty of good, balanced sound with little power input and they don't cost a lot. Their impedance curve is pretty flat too, so that, combined with their high sensitivity makes them work well with tube amps as well with solid state receivers.

These speakers don't provide constant directivity, so their imaging isn't nearly as good as the larger models. Room coverage isn't as uniform. They're more traditional cone/dome loudspeakers, designed to be listened on-axis. But they're great for surrounds or for secondary or budget systems. I like the bookshelf model for surrounds, and the tower model for applications where they're used as mains, like a bedroom system.

Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64543 is a reply to message #64542] Fri, 29 October 2010 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello Wayne,

I have a few other questions relating to Pi-two, if that is all right, but for now, thank you for your reply.

Roy
Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64549 is a reply to message #64543] Fri, 29 October 2010 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Happy to help, that's what this site is here for.

Drop by anytime, hang out often!

Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64617 is a reply to message #64540] Mon, 08 November 2010 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello again,

I did a search of the messages, e.g, "crossover componants", you obviously recommend good quality parts. With the "Pi2", having just three componants you can spend a lot more on each part.

You have stated you prefer to go for low inductance, high power resisters. So with the shunt on the tweeter, would there be benifits in using this type here? How much power is dissipated in this componant.

Roy
Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64623 is a reply to message #64617] Mon, 08 November 2010 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I use a non-inductive 10 watt resistor in shunt across the tweeter.

Re: Pi2 and woofer directivity [message #64627 is a reply to message #64623] Tue, 09 November 2010 05:05 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks.

Roy
Previous Topic: 12pi plans
Next Topic: Pi4 New Owner
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 22:35:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio