Home » Audio » General » Kid Safety
Re: Kid Safety [message #63571 is a reply to message #62419] Fri, 30 July 2010 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundbuzz is currently offline  Soundbuzz
Chancellor

It's great that parents are more aware of ear safety for their kids!

When I was a kid, I was one of those kids that blasted my music at the highest volumes available! The reason was I loved my heavy metal and I thought that hearing it loudest was the best way to get into the music. Now, I have to pay the price. My hearing's not that good now, sometimes I have to ask the person I'm talking to to repeat what they were saying. I have to listen more intently than a normal person would to capture what they're saying.

The headphones with the volume limit are great, your kids might complain though (I know I did whenever I sense the volume is lower than normally how I hear them), but educating your kids and making your kids understand that they can still enjoy their music and at the same time, caring for their ears is the more sensible choice. Just tell them that it IS better than losing your hearing sense and not being able to listen to music at all!

The lunatics are in the hall.
Re: Kid Safety [message #63624 is a reply to message #62419] Mon, 02 August 2010 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayson is currently offline  Jayson
Esquire
I also believe it best to just monitor your kids sound level. I have used my father as a great example. He worked in a factory with no earplugs for years. And I just say to the kids "do you want to be like grandpa and have to repeat yourself 5 times before being able to hear what is said" their answer is no. They are 6 and 8 and I never have to tell them to turn it down now.
Re: Kid Safety [message #63666 is a reply to message #63624] Thu, 05 August 2010 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loud is currently offline  Loud
Esquire
It is vary important to make children aware of the harm sound can do to the ear. My parents never told me that having my stereo on too loud or my system in my car too loud would hurt my hearing for life. I am now 95% def in one ear.
Re: Kid Safety [message #63677 is a reply to message #62419] Thu, 05 August 2010 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
Wow there are some scary messages in this thread. I don't have kids but I can imagine it is a nightmare trying to control their playtime with so many things that need ear devices.
Re: Kid Safety [message #63793 is a reply to message #63677] Tue, 10 August 2010 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Songs4Life is currently offline  Songs4Life
Baron
I was a kid once upon a time, too. At that time, loud is fun. Especially when it annoys the older folks. I suppose it's still the same today. When kids reach a certain age, they just have to rebel. It's a natural instinct and it's good.

So what I say is let them have their fun while they are young. And if you don't be too finicky about the volume, the kids would not play it that loud. Most of the time, they do that just because you say they shouldn't.
Re: Kid Safety [message #64260 is a reply to message #62419] Mon, 11 October 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cuzido is currently offline  cuzido
Chancellor
My middle daughter has a hearing problem due to a condition she had a few years ago called Pseudo Tumor Cerebre. She has hearing aides which she pretty much refuses to wear. The strange thing is when she uses her headphones or earbuds she doesn't turn up the volume to loud, but my youngest daughter will have her music blaring. I can't stand this because not only is it bad for their hearing (which is the most important thing) but I have to scream at her or find a way to get her attention when she has them in. I have threatened to take them and have took them from her only to have to listen to the music myself which gives me a headache.
Re: Kid Safety [message #64621 is a reply to message #62419] Mon, 08 November 2010 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
I have always been very concern about my kids hearing. I feel that I am losing mine a tiny bit each year. I have never let them use headphones, and I am hoping I can prevent it for a few more years. I know when they turn to be teenagers is going to be harder, but I hope that by then I have showed them how important it is to protect our hearing. I try to play the TV and the stereo at very moderate and low levels. My ex can only listen to things blasting, but thank God I don't have to deal with him any more in that regard.
Re: Kid Safety [message #68197 is a reply to message #62452] Thu, 16 June 2011 06:06 Go to previous message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
They should learn to not have the headphones too loud, anyway, because you are supposed to be considerate of others. But, not only can it cause ear health, they can't hear a car behind them when they are walking.
Previous Topic: Replacing Photo Camera
Next Topic: Adobe Soundbooth CS5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:29:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout