Home » Audio » General » Invention of the first Audio Equipment
Invention of the first Audio Equipment [message #64287] Tue, 12 October 2010 08:37 Go to next message
cuzido is currently offline  cuzido
Chancellor
Does anyone know who invented the very first audio equipment? I mean like speakers and sound boards. Things like this have always intrigued me. I would love to know if anyone knows the answers.
Re: Invention of the first Audio Equipment [message #64294 is a reply to message #64287] Tue, 12 October 2010 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Edison and Bell, drum recorders and telephones...
Re: Invention of the first Audio Equipment [message #64300 is a reply to message #64287] Tue, 12 October 2010 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Tesla invented/discovered the mechanism for recording and he claims to have built the first loudspeaker. Edison was known to steal inventions and died a wealthy man because of this while Tesla died penniless despite actual being the first to figure it all out. It is a shame his later works are classified information.

To me, everyone just came up with a variation of Tesla's work until the digital age came about.

Re: Invention of the first Audio Equipment [message #64304 is a reply to message #64300] Tue, 12 October 2010 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I definitely agree with you about crediting Tesla, certainly regarding power distribution, wireless transmission and other things. But in this case, I am not sure Tesla did much with respect to recording or playback of audio.

I wince as I say that, because I know about the Edison/Tesla controversies. I always considered Edison to be a man of little technical substance, more talented at self-promotion than substantive invention. Tesla did the really cool stuff, Edison did the pet rocks and no-brainers.

There are plenty of cases like that in history, where substantive inventions are overlooked or true inventors forgotten while others are given credit. Tesla is the one I'm most familiar with, but there are others.

That said, I don't think Tesla was really all that interested in audio. Had he been, he would have no doubt been as prolific in the field as he was in the areas of power distribution and wireless transmission.

Re: Invention of the first Audio Equipment [message #64394 is a reply to message #64287] Wed, 20 October 2010 07:00 Go to previous message
Bohnam is currently offline  Bohnam
Chancellor
I would have to put my money on Tesla here. The only things Edison and Bell were really good at were theft and marketing. Audio may not have been his niche, but the man was a flat out genius.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Previous Topic: Electronics Courses
Next Topic: Buzzing mic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 21:00:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout