Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi (Toe in vs straight ahead)
4pi [message #64375] Mon, 18 October 2010 19:33 Go to next message
Kgveteran is currently offline  Kgveteran
Chancellor
Well, I read all the info on the angles of listening and I need Wayne to sum it up for me. Rolling Eyes If I only have enough room to sit the 4pi's on my shelf behind my screen facing forward and not taking advantage of the toe in angle, what are your opinions on this. All three will be facing forward about 10 feet from the LP. The L&R will be about 11.5 feet each, due to them being on either side of the center.

Can the speaker be used upside-down to get the horn more online with the listener at ear level.

I can't seem to get a good answer, but get enough to be concerned, considering what I've read.......thanx ahead of time.
Re: 4pi [message #64376 is a reply to message #64375] Mon, 18 October 2010 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've installed several sets of speakers with L/R facing straight-forward or with just a little bit of toe-in. It works fine, sounds great. Don't take away the impression that speakers with toe-in sound great but without toe-in sound bad. It's not like that, not that black and white.

The biggest difference is what happens when seated off-center. There is a much smaller "sweet spot" when you point them straight forward. In a very small room, this may not matter too much because you can't help but sit pretty close to the center. That's been the situation in most cases where I've setup with little toe-in. It's not ideal, but nothing is really ideal in a room that's very small. The side reflections are stronger, as are all reflections. You just can't take advantage of the directivity as well. But they're still great sounding speakers.

As for hanging them upside down, yes, that's fine. As long as the listeners are within the 90°x40° coverage pattern of the speakers, they'll enjoy good sound.

Re: 4pi [message #64377 is a reply to message #64375] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kgveteran is currently offline  Kgveteran
Chancellor
Ok, not too worried about reflections as my room is acoustically treated to my taste with absorbers and diffusion and a couple of bass traps as well.

Tell these people to get up on this board Very Happy

Thanx for the quick reply, I'm in the middle of the sale of my current system and it sounds so damn good......

I am tired of being tweeter limited with this system . It's just the nature of the one inch dome tweeter, looking for dynamic range above my usual 85-90db listening.

I'm getting ahead of my self, but would the B&C 8CX21 be a good match to the 4pi for side surrounds and rear surrounds. I plan on using three 4pi's for my LCR mains......
Re: 4pi [message #64378 is a reply to message #64377] Mon, 18 October 2010 21:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest one π or two π surrounds for three π or four π mains. Of course, you can always use three π or four π loudspeakers all the way around. Cool

Previous Topic: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn
Next Topic: 4pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 22:43:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout