Home » Audio » General » Buzzing mic
Buzzing mic [message #64369] Mon, 18 October 2010 11:20 Go to next message
Bohnam is currently offline  Bohnam
Chancellor
What could be the problem if the microphone that you have, buzzes while it's in the stand, but doesn't while it's not? I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Buzzing mic [message #64370 is a reply to message #64369] Mon, 18 October 2010 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you probably just have a loose mount. Gently tap the microphone and listen for the buzz. Try to tighten anything that appears to be loose.

There is another possibility. I doubt this is it, but you should be aware. Microphones can sometimes act like loudspeakers. If they are fed a drive signal, they can produce a sound. So if the stand provides a ground and the signal line is floating, it is possible that the microphone will complete the circuit and buzz. If that's the case, it won't probably live long. The singers might not either, if you have a hot mic. Laughing

Re: Buzzing mic [message #64388 is a reply to message #64369] Tue, 19 October 2010 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There is a short in the ground wire. If you using a 1/4 adapter make sure that the ground and the negative poles are soldered together or use an XLR to XLR cable.

Get a mic stand that is not using metal to hold the mic. All the ones I've used use plastic harnesses. Or wrap the mic housing is electrical tape.

Re: Buzzing mic [message #64396 is a reply to message #64369] Wed, 20 October 2010 08:31 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah it's probably a ground loop or ungrounded cable shield.

You can also try changing the placement of your mic cables. Sometimes that helps, if, for example, there is an SCR dimmer switch in the room.
Previous Topic: Invention of the first Audio Equipment
Next Topic: Advice for the ignorant?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 18:47:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout