Home » Audio » Radio » Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration (need help)
Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63902] Sat, 21 August 2010 21:39 Go to next message
dsumerfi is currently offline  dsumerfi
Esquire
I know little about electronics, but love a DIY project. I picked up Zenith Transoceanic G500 from a relative's junk-house recently, it's in bad shape. It seems a mouse was living in the old battery compartment at one point (the manual was partially chewed for nesting materials, and the power chord was chewed through).

I've tried to figure this out through various radio restoration websites (for example antiqueradio.com), but am stuck in the early stages. I figured I would replace the power chord, the old paper capacitors, and the rectifier and fire it up to see if it worked. I replaced the power chord first and plugged it in, but did not get anything out of the speakers.

I have the necessary capacitors to complete the "re-cap" and a new silicon diode to replace the rectifier, but there are a couple of pieces that I do not know how to identify. I clipped a piece attached directly to the positive end of the rectifier, it seems corroded.

index.php?t=getfile&id=251&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=252&private=0

From the schematic, my best guess is that this is a resistor? Also, do I need to replace the power resistor unit that is grommited to the chasis?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Daniel
  • Attachment: IMG_8388c.jpg
    (Size: 211.29KB, Downloaded 7865 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_8392.JPG
    (Size: 115.14KB, Downloaded 7561 times)
Re: Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63904 is a reply to message #63902] Sun, 22 August 2010 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome! I have a couple Transoceanics and they're very good radios.

Yes, that part you have is a resistor. Is it bad? I'd probably measure acrosss it to see, and only replace it if it's bad. I tend to swap caps blindly on old radios like that, because they're almost always bad. But wirewound resistors like that don't go bad with age.

Re: Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63906 is a reply to message #63902] Mon, 23 August 2010 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

Thank you for the response. I tested that resistor and it appears to be bad - no resistance across the leads! I am also curious if you've seen capacitors like the green ones on the right side of the picture in the original post (attached to the ocs. coil). I think they are represented in the schematic by the 150 MMF capacitors, but I haven't been able to confirm that by internet research, and that stripe pattern doesn't seem to match the values on the schematic with any stripe rating schedule I've found.

index.php?t=getfile&id=253&private=0

Also, I'm not sure what the other four capacitors in that portion of the schematic are rater for - they're the only ones without values. I think I've located them in the radio, but once again, some of them are the green style which I can't decipher.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
  • Attachment: Untitled.jpg
    (Size: 86.93KB, Downloaded 6953 times)
Re: Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63910 is a reply to message #63906] Mon, 23 August 2010 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Are you sure those green devices are in the circuit positions where you would expect capacitors to be? I ask because they look like resistors to me. I also seem to recall my Transoceanics have one or two small value inductors that look kind of like resistors. So I would definitely double-check those parts by their position in the schematic, because I don't think they're capacitors.

Re: Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63950 is a reply to message #63910] Mon, 30 August 2010 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capbuster is currently offline  capbuster
Baron
Those green things are resistors . The striped green one is tied to a capacitor. There are a lot of good sites show you how to read values on old resistors. If you want? I can get some i have book marked. Rolling Eyes
Re: Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63957 is a reply to message #63950] Tue, 31 August 2010 09:43 Go to previous message
Esquire
Ahhh, thank you. I've been forced to pack up my project due to a pending move, hopefully I'll remember where I'm at when it's time to get back into it Smile

Thanks.
Previous Topic: 37-93
Next Topic: Atwater Kent Shortwave model 37
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:57:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers