Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Belatedly, A Good Mozart List
Belatedly, A Good Mozart List [message #6389] Tue, 31 January 2006 05:34 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
MB,

Sorry I didn't respond the other day to your post for Mozart suggestions. Belatedly, I've run across a pretty good list at Jack Balkin's site, Balkinization. His tastes seem to run pretty much identical to mine.

Jack Balkin, by the way, is an extremely liberal Professor at Yale Law. Although his site is not otherwise devoted to music, you may enjoy his views.

Re: Belatedly, A Good Mozart List [message #6390 is a reply to message #6389] Tue, 31 January 2006 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks E; I'll give that a look. Whats your Mozart Recomendation?

Re: Belatedly, A Good Mozart List [message #6391 is a reply to message #6390] Tue, 31 January 2006 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Did you see this 9 boxes / 90 CDs "250th Anniversary Edition" Warner`s package?

Pick A Genre [message #6392 is a reply to message #6390] Tue, 31 January 2006 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You want orchestral? Concertos? String Quartets? Vocal? Opera?

If you want to start with something really cheap so you're not making too big an investment while you're first dipping your toe in the waters, the Walter Klien (and it is "Klien", not "Klein") Piano Sonatas on VoxBox are superb, really! There are two sets, each of which consists of 2 cds for all of $10.98 currently on Amazon. Hell, that's less than Naxos these days (and I don't mean to dis Naxos). I'm linking Volume 2.

In general, the problem with Mozart recordings (and those of other famous composers) is that there are so many to choose from that it's hard to decide. The flip side of the coin is that, because there are so many choices and so much competition, there are a number of outstanding older recordings (generally late 50s through mid 70s) that are mid-priced or less. There is rarely any need to pay anything close to full price for a fantastic performance of any "name" composer, unless you insist on a "DDD" recording.

Re: Pick A Genre [message #6393 is a reply to message #6392] Tue, 31 January 2006 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; E-Man, thats why we need you; to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
I buy Naxos all the time, but what sounds good is the real good performances. Whatever you recommend works for me.

Re: Belatedly, A Good Mozart List [message #6394 is a reply to message #6391] Tue, 31 January 2006 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
90 CD's? If I listened to one each day it would take three months to hear all of them. Hey; I didn't know you were a Mozart Fan Damir?

Alright, Try the Violin Concertos [message #6395 is a reply to message #6393] Tue, 31 January 2006 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Balkin's choice, and mine, and that of many many others, for Mozart's five violin concertos features Arthur Grumiaux. Although you've probably never heard of him, Grumiaux was a highly-regarded and well-known Belgian violinist in the late 50s through early 70s (these recordings are mostly from the early 1960s). Grumiaux was known for his beautiful, well-rounded tone, rather than flashiness, but Mozart is not a sturm und drang romantic composer whose music requires excessively flashy and dramatic ostentation. On the other hand, this is not to suggest that Grumiaux is at all heavy or boring. The performances (with Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra) have the sprightliness, sparkle, vitality and humanity that are essential to Mozart.

The performances are now conveniently available on a Philips "Duo" set -- 2 ceedees for the price of one. The set is even more of a bargain because it also includes equally fine performances of the Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Viola and Orchestra and the Adagio and Rondo for Violin and Orchestra, so you wind up with virtually Mozart's entire output for violin and orchestra. The current Amazon price is $13.49.

Re: Alright, Try the Violin Concertos [message #6396 is a reply to message #6395] Tue, 31 January 2006 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good. I'll offer a review soon as I get the CD. Although no one will read it.
Do you think the rest of the recommendations are of a similar quality?

Re: Alright, Try the Violin Concertos [message #6397 is a reply to message #6396] Wed, 01 February 2006 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll read it!

Re: Alright, Try the Violin Concertos [message #6398 is a reply to message #6397] Wed, 01 February 2006 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Wayne; I know I can count on you.

Previous Topic: Eagles DVD
Next Topic: Good news
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 00:21:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout