Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Price ranges
Re: Price ranges [message #63509 is a reply to message #63508] Sat, 24 July 2010 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Adveser wrote on Sat, 24 July 2010 21:59
I would like to add, which I am sure most of us are aware of...the more distortion you need, the LOWER the wattage. If you want to play creamy blues, get the 250watt. If you want to play screaming shred, 15-50 watts should cover it.

The reasoning is pretty simple: a 15-watt combo at full blast is going to create a good metal tone. a 250watt dialed back considerably to suit the volume is not going to be. And same thing the other way. a 15 watt is not going to be loud enough once you produce the tone you want for blues.

Or you could find a very old SRD power soak, which was built so a marshall stack could be set all the way up without being 150db.

Agreed on the distortion, if you're using distortion direct from the amp. OTOH, a good distortion pedal will eliminate the "need" for a low wattage amp. 15W is plenty of amp in my experience, especially if you're just playing by yourself. If you're not and you're gigging, most likely you'll be mic'd thru the PA system and it won't matter anyhow. I gigged with a 10W amp for the better part of a year because of setting up that way.
Re: Price ranges [message #63737 is a reply to message #63509] Sat, 07 August 2010 09:09 Go to previous message
Taylor-Sue is currently offline  Taylor-Sue
Chancellor
Take it from one who knows... the best and only present worth giving to a man obsessed is the thing he is obsessed with! Better to save for the item than to risk giving something else Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic: DJ cables
Next Topic: Teens Electric Guitar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:40:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout