Home » Audio » Movies & Music » When did 80's become 'old'?
When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63676] Thu, 05 August 2010 06:46 Go to next message
Loud is currently offline  Loud
Esquire
I guess I don't see myself as getting older. I love to listen to the 80's and 90's station. The other day my son said "why do you listen to the oldies?" I responded "they are not old". Anyone else experience this with their kids or in a state of denial?
Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63680 is a reply to message #63676] Thu, 05 August 2010 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
Pal, I hear ya. My teenage years hit in the early 80s so that music is always gonna be my influence. I have 4 kids and they just don't get it!
Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63697 is a reply to message #63676] Thu, 05 August 2010 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When I very young, like 2-5, I watched MTV all day most of the time. I am now 25, which places a lot of the music I listened to in the late 80's. MTV eventually became crap, but I still listened to the adult contemporary station until I was about 1996. So that is where my taste in Pop music ended. After that it became all awful Hip Hop and mediocre, poorly written and produced pop with a very short shelf life. I started listening to the Rock station and eventually started listening to more underground European metal that had the Pop hooks from my youth to go with the technically minded metal of my teen years.

But yeah, I think most 80's albums still sound fresh, interesting and exciting. I have a cache of about 4500 pop songs on the hard drive with virtually everything I loved from yesteryear and still listen to this stuff all the time.

I have a lot of really old stuff mixed in with that from the 60's (most of this stuff aged very poorly and has terrible sound) and early 70's (most of this stuff is pretty dull sounding) which is what I would consider "old." Some of it is still great, but most of it is antiquated.

The 80's was the time when all those kids that grew up listening to the Beatles and Motown grew up and wrote their own versions of pop perfection in under four minutes. It was a stroke of luck that producers of the day were at their height of technical ability and the instruments being used at the time gave such a full and lush sound. The 80's were the best time for pop music, period. I wish I could have lived through it, but who knows, I might have hated the whole thing if I were an age that I would have "known better"

Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63703 is a reply to message #63680] Thu, 05 August 2010 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
BigMacAndCheese wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 08:51
Pal, I hear ya. My teenage years hit in the early 80s so that music is always gonna be my influence. I have 4 kids and they just don't get it!

My teenage years hit then as well. And I still can't stand most of the pop music from that era. I shunned most of it and was listening to Metallica, Anthrax, etc...Closest to pop was probably stuff like Van Halen and G&R--because I'm a guitar junkie! I will admit to liking a song here and there from different bands during the 80's (and know most of the songs just because they were a constant drone at the time), but for the most part I just couldn't get into it.

My kids have heard most of it, as well as stuff from the 60's, 70's, and 90's and if they have a choice between Michael Jackson and the Beatles, the Beatles win every time.
Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63822 is a reply to message #63703] Wed, 11 August 2010 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
Well I get it with the packaged pop sound and to some extent with Michael Jackson but there will never be anything to beat the electronic era. Gary Numan - genius! It's good that his stuff is still so influential. Wonder what he's up to these days.
Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63843 is a reply to message #63703] Thu, 12 August 2010 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soundman is currently offline  soundman
Chancellor
I've never really liked 80s music. I think 80s music became old in the mid 90s. I think all 80s music should be banned and those who listen to it should be pelted with wet sponges Smile
Re: When did 80's become 'old'? [message #63844 is a reply to message #63843] Thu, 12 August 2010 05:20 Go to previous message
Frontrowticket is currently offline  Frontrowticket
Chancellor
soundman wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 00:50
I've never really liked 80s music. I think 80s music became old in the mid 90s. I think all 80s music should be banned and those who listen to it should be pelted with wet sponges Smile

Hahahhaa, post of the week I think. So do share which era/genre meets with your satisfaction. I would have to go with the 70s, for no other reason than liking the simpleness of it all.
Previous Topic: Korean pop
Next Topic: Revamped classic movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:22:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout