Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010
Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #63604] Sun, 01 August 2010 22:01 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I and my best friend went to the festival in Chicago last month and it was absolutely PHENOMENAL. We were lucky to get tickets as they sold out the 28K arena in less than 20 minutes. There was a short 2hr movie made of it that they played for one night only on July 27th. Kind of a prelude to the DVD release this fall.

Here's a link to pics and such: http://www.crossroadsguitarfestival.com/

The best sets of the day for me were Robert Randolph, Derek Trucks, Buddy Guy, and Jeff Beck. Jeff just came out and buried everyone up till then. Amazing!!! And Buddy worked the crowd like only he can!! Everyone was top notch and very good though. The only bad set was Johnny Winter. He was so decrepit that they had to carry him out. He started playing Red House in the wrong key, then his hands just wouldn't sync up and there was a lot of doink-doink going on, his voice was spot on though. Derek Trucks carried him through with gentle grace and he only played the one song. I think Johnny is done. As is BB King. BB just talked and talked, to the point people just started leaving as it was towards the end of the show. He didn't play much of anything. A real letdown there. Everyone played 4-6 songs or so and they had a rotating stage so there was never more than about 10 minutes at most between bands. Bill Murray MC'd in between bands. Clapton came on at the end and played 3-4 songs with his band, then Steve Winwood joined him and they played 7-8 songs at least. Clapton really started to pull out the stops and shine when Winwood came on.
Re: Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #63608 is a reply to message #63604] Sun, 01 August 2010 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, that's awesome! I wish I could have been there!

Re: Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #63706 is a reply to message #63604] Thu, 05 August 2010 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundbuzz is currently offline  Soundbuzz
Chancellor

Oh my, what an awesome lineup! I wish I could have been there! I've never seen Clapton and ohh I've never seen that many acts anywhere because, well, of where I'm at! Bummer, sometimes I wish I was in America so I can regularly go to shows like that! You have so many music festivals there I'm green with envy now.

Once in a while, we do have acts coming in but they're almost always not the acts I'd pay money to go and see live. We did just have an awesome festival with Buddy Guy heading the pack, so that one I couldn't miss!

But Clapton with Winwood, omg, that's an informidable duo I would kill to catch them perform live!

The lunatics are in the hall.
Re: Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #64457 is a reply to message #63604] Sat, 23 October 2010 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
I didn't even realise that this had happened. I hope it's an annual thing as I'd love to make it next year. Meanwhile the DVD will have to suffice.
Re: Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #64459 is a reply to message #64457] Sat, 23 October 2010 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wonderwoll wrote on Sat, 23 October 2010 08:53
I didn't even realise that this had happened. I hope it's an annual thing as I'd love to make it next year. Meanwhile the DVD will have to suffice.

So far it's been an every other year event. Clapton said this one would be his last, but at the end he hinted he just might have to do another. I was really surprised we got tickets. It was just luck.
Re: Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 [message #64468 is a reply to message #63604] Sat, 23 October 2010 19:16 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Color me jealous! Despite the disappointment with Johnny Winter and BB King, I really wish I could have been there. I particularly would've loved to see Clapton and Winwood together.
Previous Topic: Remakes
Next Topic: Star Wars Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:04:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout