Home » Audio » Radio » Improving radio reception
Improving radio reception [message #63256] Fri, 25 June 2010 11:53 Go to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
I have a couple of old radios that do not quite compare to my newer radios. Is there anything I can do to the old radios to improve their reception and thereby the quality? Thanks.
Re: Improving radio reception [message #63257 is a reply to message #63256] Fri, 25 June 2010 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Add an antenna.
Re: Improving radio reception [message #63269 is a reply to message #63257] Mon, 28 June 2010 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ilikemac83 is currently offline  ilikemac83
Esquire
I have an old tube radio where the ant. connection had a capacitor connected to it, by replacing it I got better reception. Basically a wire came from ground (chassis) to the capacitor then to the wire wound ant. Unlike my mentioned radio, many tube radios will have a connection for ground and ant. Try adding or removing the ground wire, it depends which way will work better. Sometimes there may be an adjustable screw outside the unit for easy access, check for that and adjust it while listening to a fairly weak station. Otherwise old radios just will not get the reception of a new radio. If all else fails, like Wayne said, get a better ant.
Re: Improving radio reception [message #63342 is a reply to message #63256] Tue, 06 July 2010 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capbuster is currently offline  capbuster
Baron
How old ? Some older radios requried a long wire . A long wire ran around ceiling ect. I have one ran outside 30 foot up 200 feet long. Works great . And grounding theses sets to earth helps to.
If need more info i can help . Capbuster.
Re: Improving radio reception [message #63344 is a reply to message #63342] Tue, 06 July 2010 22:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, you're right. I have a couple of radios that have no built-in antenna. Both are older radios, pre-WWII. Seems like after that, most AM radios have built-in antennas. I'm so used to internal ferrite coils on AM radios, sometimes I forget that not every radio has one.

If you don't hook up an external antenna on a radio without an internal built-in antenna, it will get absolutely nothing, not even the 50Kw boomer stations. But when you connect an antenna, they work great. I personally prefer loop antennas for MW (AM) radios, longwires for SW.

Previous Topic: Edison type 7R
Next Topic: Detrola
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:10:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout