Home » Audio » General » Ear health
Re: Ear health [message #62507 is a reply to message #62404] Wed, 05 May 2010 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
Maxie wrote on Mon, 26 April 2010 10:56
I have had chronic ear infections since childhood. My doctor always said that headphones were an absolune no-no for me. I don't let anything near my ears not even my husband.

Well that makes sense-like a pacifier increasing a child's risk of ear and throat infections, anything that you shove in your ear would increase the risk of infection by introducing contaminants.
Re: Ear health [message #62512 is a reply to message #62507] Wed, 05 May 2010 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
Ummm do you mean headphones or ear buds? Buds go into the ear, phones most times sit on the outside. I get that they could still give something off, but most people properly clean their headset before use too.
Re: Ear health [message #63299 is a reply to message #61930] Thu, 01 July 2010 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
When I listen to music or anything using headphones I tend to put the volume a bit down for this reason. I think that it will damage my eyes only if the volume is high. Sometimes I do not mind it since if volume is what it takes to enjoy my music then so be it!
Re: Ear health [message #63417 is a reply to message #61930] Sat, 17 July 2010 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
Most people I know use the term 'earphones' to mean either buds or exterior sets.

One other aspect of the ear health issue is that of sharing buds. Nasty habit and one which I see more and more between couples and friends when I am on public transport. Yuk!
Re: Ear health [message #63447 is a reply to message #61930] Mon, 19 July 2010 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have always used Sony headphones. Right now I have the standard 7506's.

That is the starting place to protect your ears. The more linear the audio signal, the less damage you are going to do.

Hearing damage mostly comes from non-audio. Don't drive the car with the windows down. Distorted sound damages your ears.

Avoid aspirin and vicodin, they are known to cause toxicity in your ears.

Re: Ear health [message #63497 is a reply to message #63447] Fri, 23 July 2010 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Adveser, thanks for the information above on the headphones. I am intrigued by the reference to aspirin. I know it is bad for your stomach but never heard of it as a problem for ears.
Re: Ear health [message #63502 is a reply to message #63497] Sat, 24 July 2010 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I may be confusing that with vocal health. I know it is terrible on that end.

(after some googling)
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/3/35879/aspirin-ibuprofen-acetaminophen-cause-hearing-loss-men.html

Actually, it looks like basically every painkiller (I have never seen anything about Oxycontin or any of the other opiates though) are bad for your ears.

Looks like maybe only Naproxen Sodium (aleve) is going to do for over the counter audiophile pain relief.

Re: Ear health [message #63524 is a reply to message #63502] Sun, 25 July 2010 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I wonder why only men under 60 are more at risk from the aspirin (or other painkiller) danger. Information is knowledge so thanks for sharing.
Re: Ear health [message #63526 is a reply to message #63524] Sun, 25 July 2010 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I may be making assumptions here, but I got the impression that the reason for that is because those over 60 already have the damage that the drug would cause. I took the meaning as the younger you are, the more danger because the better your hearing would likely be.

Re: Ear health [message #63542 is a reply to message #61930] Mon, 26 July 2010 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
I've never had a problem with headphones. I use the large over the ear type that block out all or most outside noise so I don't have to crank it up to get great sound. I'd be more concerned with earphone types that don't block out noise so you have to turn up the volume just to hear your music over other noises.
Previous Topic: Sound sickness?
Next Topic: Is it called pacemaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 11:12:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout