Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring
2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring [message #63159] Sun, 13 June 2010 16:21 Go to next message
notben is currently offline  notben
Chancellor
Is the crossover for the tower and monitor the same? I ask because I am going to order a pair to build the monitors, but if later I want to build the towers, can I just drop the drivers and the crossover in the new tower cabs?

Also, I am going to do a comparison of the 2pi monitors to my Adams A1 powered near-field studio monitors for my Apogee/Logic setup.
If they are close in accuracy for monitoring amateur mixing and recording sessions, I would love to able to sell them to raise funds for 4pi's with JBL's for my tube gear.
Although, finding a suitable SS amp for the monitors will be key -- probably a Crown amp.
I have multiple power subs to use when I need also.

Has anyone else compared them to traditional studio near-fields?
How did the high end detail and overall separation compare? Are they fatiguing as near-fields? The chart for the Vifa looks like it should have plenty of information between 15-20Khz and above.

Considering that Adams A1 were $1,000 for a pair and a good chunk of their cost is for the amplification, I think the 2pi monitor is in the same price range, so I don't think it is complete apples and oranges. Plus, I think I may like the 10" driver as opposed to the 7" in the Adams.

Thanks for the feedback.
Re: 2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring [message #63160 is a reply to message #63159] Sun, 13 June 2010 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the crossover is the same. Most of the comparisons I see have been with single driver speakers, for some reason. I think maybe it's because they're both popular with low power tube amp owners.

Re: 2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring [message #63162 is a reply to message #63160] Sun, 13 June 2010 18:35 Go to previous message
notben is currently offline  notben
Chancellor
Thank you for info on the crossover, Wayne.
Well, I guess I will have to post my comparison when I am finished.

My plans are to try them out as studio monitors, with double duty for some tube amps. If they don't work out to be as flat or brutally revealing as the Adams, I will build the towers, because I think they will be a perfect fit for my Fisher SA100 el84 amp.

Previous Topic: Heresy Box for 3Pi
Next Topic: 4pi with altec 807?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:40:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout