Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi or 4Pi better than modded Klipsch Quartet?
3Pi or 4Pi better than modded Klipsch Quartet? [message #63083] Mon, 07 June 2010 11:21 Go to next message
BvengtSvingarm
Esquire
Hi,

The Quartets are my first intro into horn drivers and HE. I like what I hear.

Modding them will be close to the cost of the 3-4 Pi speakers and I'm wondering if the Pi speakers will outclass the modded Quartets.

TIA!
Re: 3Pi or 4Pi better than modded Klipsch Quartet? [message #63084 is a reply to message #63083] Mon, 07 June 2010 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Quality will be largely influenced by the components chosen, i.e. upgrade level. I think either the three π or the four π with upgraded woofer and tweeters will perform much better. Certainly I'm biased but then again I put a lot of effort into perfecting these designs and I've chosen excellent components for the top-level options, so that's a potent combination. It's hard to beat a pair of upgraded three π or four π speakers used with multisubs.

Re: 3Pi or 4Pi? [message #63100 is a reply to message #63084] Tue, 08 June 2010 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BvengtSvingarm
Esquire
Thanks Wayne...

Which is beter for a smaller listening room 12x15x8.

The 3 or 4Pi?
Re: 3Pi or 4Pi? [message #63101 is a reply to message #63100] Tue, 08 June 2010 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both are good in that size room. Neither is really "better", at least not when fully upgraded. The three π loudspeaker uses a really nice Acoustic Elegance midwoofer (TD12S) and the four π model uses one of JBL's best midwoofers, the 2226H. They're very nice speakers, more similar than different. The four π is 3dB louder though.

Re: 3Pi or 4Pi? [message #63103 is a reply to message #63101] Wed, 09 June 2010 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BvengtSvingarm
Esquire
Thanks!

I guess I should have said "appropriate" instead of better. I've settled on the fours because of the cabinet size and more importantly the increased sensitivity. I'm having a lot of fun dinking around with EL84 amps and the fours seem like they would be an interesting match.
Re: 3Pi or 4Pi? [message #63106 is a reply to message #63103] Wed, 09 June 2010 11:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the four π speaker is 3dB louder than the three π, given the same input. That can make a difference for flea-power SET amp owners.

All my tube amps are around ~10 watts and with this much power, either speaker is fine. You can tell the difference, but the three π speaker just needs a little more twist of the volume knob, not much. It is plenty loud, even for home theater.

If you have a lot less power than that, say under ~2.5 watts, then the extra sensitivity of the four π speaker probably becomes more of a consideration. Once you get down to the little 1 watters, they're not really what I'd consider a power amp, more like a headphone amp. At that ultra-low power level, neither speaker will get above a polite conversation level.

Previous Topic: P Audio 2226 copy- opinions?
Next Topic: Heresy Box for 3Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:46:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout