Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Another DRM Issue Brewing
Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6291] Tue, 03 January 2006 07:10 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Sony was raked over the coals. Now here's a new one. Virgin has issued a Coldplay CD that may not play CD's on computers or anything other than a "standard" CD player. The only notice you receive becomes available only after you purchase and open the CD. Lawsuit anyone?

I've linked to a legal blog rather than the underlying boingboing entry because the comments may shed more light on the viability of a suit.

By the way, MB, any suits will almost certainly be based on good ol' state contract and consumer protection laws.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6292 is a reply to message #6291] Wed, 04 January 2006 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; too bad. What they need to do is overhaul the whole copyright system. In this modern age why should the laws be more strict than they were in our day? It certainly is not helping the music industry sales.
Goes back to feeding only the most lucrative outlets while stifling creativity.
And I believe that extends right on down the line. Some one has to take a stand against protectionist legalities that transcend logic.
Thanks for the link E-Man; I appreciate that.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6293 is a reply to message #6292] Sat, 07 January 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A couple years ago I started to read the books by Lawrence Lessig.

He lays out the reasoning for changing all the copyright
protectionism and puts to rest the issues of personal use
as defined by the original intent of the law.

To the point of stifling creativity, start out with his
latest book called Free Culture first.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6294 is a reply to message #6293] Sun, 08 January 2006 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Lon; I am going to request that book from the library; I am due for something new to read. Just finished re-reading From Here To Eternity.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6295 is a reply to message #6294] Sun, 08 January 2006 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For a subject that sounds _this_ boring, I found I couldn't put
down Lessig's books. Well all except the first one in this series
in which the type is really tiny. That one was released only in
paperback. I'm hoping for a reprint in Large Type edition.

Lessig has argued cases on the subject before the Supreme Court.

Interestingly he was a clerk for Supreme Court Justice Antonin "Fat Tony" Scalia before assuming a professorship in California.

I know this is more than you want to know.

But what the 3 books comprise is the discussion of the
three layers of information which the advent of the internet
has created and for which most previous case law does not
account. There is the Code Layer, the Bandwidth layer--
which is the transfer medium and the Content layer.

Free Culture is about the content layer.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6296 is a reply to message #6295] Mon, 09 January 2006 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Au Contrair'; thats exactly what I want to know and I appreciate the lead. Since this forum seems headed for a continous re-play of past greivances culminating in some kind of legal action then the best thing I can see to do is become informed regarding exactly what is at issue.
"Fat Tony"; thats a good one. I watched on C-Span an interview/talk segment involving Souder and Scalia. It lasted about an hour and was truely interesting. This was a freewheeling style of conversational interview and both personalities really came across.
Frustrating to see a personality that cannot give an inch or even acknowledge the other side has any validity in their arguments. Scalia is bright but stuck on certain beliefes that he can't seem to adjust or tweak even when his position is weak and the opposing arguments are completely overwhelming.
He is a clever guy though.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6297 is a reply to message #6296] Mon, 09 January 2006 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Lessig is a clever guy too.

What the books do is challenge the assumption of 'what is right'
or legal.

I truly believe this has to do with things we are are taught from
paternalistic households. And so the questions such as "Isn't copying stealing?" and "Well doesn't the author deserve to control all aspects
of his product forever (96 years currently under the Sonny Bono
copyright law)?" The answers here Lessig carefully deconstructs to show how creativity in the commons of human discourse and the founding
principles in the Constitution based on English Common Law provide
for sharing information in ways that have been legislated out of existence by our toadies in Congress.

The central concept is Fair Use.

If the heirs of Stan Getz refuse to release the musician's works
for reprint simply because the royalties are enough to live off of indefinately then those works stay out of the public domain--
you and I can't hear them. Limiting copyright and the renewal of copyright (93 percent of which is _lost_ to time) means that
archivists have Fair Use of the remaining original works and
duplication for non resale purposes such as the internet makes
possible at the expiration of copyright is not illegal.

Lessig has a webite called Creative Commons in which new
copyright schemes allow for greater freedom of the creative artist.

You will see (cc) turn up on various documents on the net.

Lessig's point in doing this work is that a great amount of
created material (that 93 percent up there) is willfully held
out of the public domain which is not in the spirit of the law.

He also tells how Walt Disney built the character of Mickey Mouse
on the filmwork from Buster Keaton. Needless to say Buster Keaton
who played Steamboat Bill never got a dime from Disney's interpretation called Steamboat Willie with a mouse as the steamboat
captain.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6298 is a reply to message #6297] Mon, 09 January 2006 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now you got me. This is what I have felt all along to be true. Let me do some reading; I knew someone out there had to be making some sense around this issue. Sir Issaac Newton should have held the royalties for the Calculus and passed it down to his heirs; we would still be using the Abacus to calculate and quantify.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6299 is a reply to message #6298] Mon, 09 January 2006 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The titles are "Code and Other laws of Cyberspace"

and "The Future of Ideas: The fate of the commons in a connected world."

I believe that Lessig's case involved the concept of online books
which the guy made from public domain works such as Shakespeare
and Coleridge.

Re: Another DRM Issue Brewing [message #6300 is a reply to message #6299] Mon, 09 January 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There is a article listed concerning his speech on the possibility of Scalia becoming chief justice but it won't load. I get an error message.
Looks like interesting stuff.

Previous Topic: Merry Christmas tunes
Next Topic: Merry Christmas tunes II
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 00:22:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers