Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 and pi 6
Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62666] Fri, 14 May 2010 15:39 Go to next message
dom_ is currently offline  dom_
Esquire
Hi I was wondering if you could email both of these plans over to me?

My room is 15 feet by 23 feet with a 9 foot ceiling so not really sure which would be best.

Thanks
Dom

Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62674 is a reply to message #62666] Fri, 14 May 2010 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They're both very similar. The only differece is the woofer.

Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62685 is a reply to message #62674] Sat, 15 May 2010 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Do you think it would be more sensible to go with the 12" driver in that size room?

I was reading up on PaulW's log on hifiwigwam and he seemed to have some fun taming the bass in his room.

edit: woops! actually measured my room it is 13x17x9feet. Seems my guess was miles out Shocked
Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62706 is a reply to message #62685] Sat, 15 May 2010 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both the six π and seven π cornerhorns have similar response, a slightly overdamped alignment which results in a gentle, gradual rolloff curve. This alignment is pretty room friendly, and tends to sound smooth in most rooms but, of course, some rooms are more troublesome than others. Where room modes are a problem, I would suggest running multiple subwoofers blended with the mains.
The choice of woofer isn't really a matter of alignment or room loading, since each of them are similar, with the same slightly overdamped response. The biggest differences are in cost and other things. Here is a sort of overview of each woofer option:
  • Delta 12LF (used in the entry level three π and six π speakers) - ample bass, reasonably smooth midrange and very cost effective
  • Omega 15A (used in the entry level four π and seven π speakers) - cast basket, higher efficiency and power handling
  • TD12S (used in the high-end three π and six π speakers) - much smoother midrange, lower distortion and better thermal control
  • 2226H (used in the high-end four π and seven π speakers) - much smoother midrange, lower distortion and higher efficiency

Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62718 is a reply to message #62706] Sun, 16 May 2010 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for that being doing a good bit of reading up too.

Would you send the 6pi plans over?

One other question I couldn't seem to find an answer for, how much room do you need for the horn at a minimum. As in how much wall. I have a fireplace in my room which would be between the speakers that sticks out a foot into the room.

Thanks again,

Dom
Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62721 is a reply to message #62718] Sun, 16 May 2010 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You really need about 6 feet minimum, but things like bookshelves and fireplaces are usually OK. You don't want an open doorway or hall entrance within about 6 feet though, and further is better.

Plans on the way!

Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62722 is a reply to message #62721] Sun, 16 May 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Excellent thank you

Dom
Re: Pi 7 and pi 6 [message #62817 is a reply to message #62685] Thu, 20 May 2010 18:02 Go to previous message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
dom_ wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 02:33
Do you think it would be more sensible to go with the 12" driver in that size room?

I was reading up on PaulW's log on hifiwigwam and he seemed to have some fun taming the bass in his room.

edit: woops! actually measured my room it is 13x17x9feet. Seems my guess was miles out Shocked

Hi Dom - given that you are already using a large pair of Tannoy's I would expect any bass issues to be the same as you currently are experiencing! As for me, going back over the whole process, the bass problems were more than just room based.

The standard power amp transformers were fairly low spec on the Paramours - magneQuest transformers go deeper, but exhibit far better control.

I was not used to hearing those room modes in anything other than perhaps a positive benefit for my tiny speakers - gave them a much needed bass boost.

The room itself is very solidly constructed and a bit 'unforgiving'

Now the multisub approach really did work - borrowed a few subs from people, but dismissed this as I didn't want all the extra wiring runs, plus only one sub was 'auto on' and switching on the turntable, CD player, phono stage, preamp, two power amps all followed by 3 extra subs was not for me! In the end I went for passive bass traps.

Paul
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans Please
Next Topic: midrange driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 21:30:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers