Home » Audio » General » Surge protectors
Surge protectors [message #62250] Fri, 02 April 2010 11:52 Go to next message
AudioAJ is currently offline  AudioAJ
Chancellor
Is there much of a difference between one brand of surge protector compared to another? Just looking for something that will protect my equipment. Any recommendations?
Re: Surge protectors [message #62251 is a reply to message #62250] Fri, 02 April 2010 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are plenty of different technologies of surge protectors. The ones we're talking about are secondary protectors, by the way. Secondary surge protectors include things like barrier strips and other equipment that contain surge clamping devices. Primary protectors are usually outside the building, and are larger capacity but their tolerance isn't as great - they tend to take the big hit but not clamp to as specific a range.

Examples of primary arresters are lightning rods and spark gaps. Secondary protectors are smaller devices, usually things like metal oxide varisters and surge clamping diodes. These days, you can find primary arresters with some of the same technologies as are found in secondary protectors, but the real determiner is size and location. The primary takes more of the hit and is mounted at the point of entry, whereas secondary protectors are inside, often at the recepticle.

I tend to like primary devices that are very simple and can take a whallop, like gaps and rods. They're just going to arc over when the voltage is high enough, and the only real damage they take is from melting or pitting. For secondaries, I like MOV devices for high voltage lines and SCD devices for low voltage lines. Surge clamping diodes tend to clamp at more precise voltage levels, and so I like them for signal level lines. MOV's are fine for AC, and tend to fuse shorted when "cooked", so they really should be used with a breaker. That's how most barrier strips are made. Once it is damaged, throw it away and replace it.

Secondary protectors are rated in Joules and in voltage, and in general, the larger the energy (Joules) rating, the better. The voltage should be roughly equal to the signal it's intended to protect, or slightly less. So for example, a device intended to protect a 12VDC line should not clamp below 14-18V or so. If the line ever rises above that level during normal operation, you definitely don't want the protection device to kick in, so it should be sized accordingly. If AC, don't forget that power lines are usually described in RMS, so multiply by 1.414, minimum. In other words, a 120VAC line will tend to swing from +170V to -170V. The protector should not clamp until at least 180V in either direction.

Re: Surge protectors [message #62311 is a reply to message #62251] Fri, 09 April 2010 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
I'm just looking for a quality home surge protector to plug my home entertainment equipment into. I had a Sony that was pretty well melted in a violent thunderstorm we had recently. It did protect my equipment though.
Re: Surge protectors [message #62312 is a reply to message #62311] Fri, 09 April 2010 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It did it's job then, worked as it should. That's what you should expect from a properly designed surge protector. Sometimes they'll last a lifetime but if it has to do its job, it'll only do it once. Laughing

Re: Surge protectors [message #62363 is a reply to message #62250] Sun, 18 April 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadie is currently offline  Sadie
Chancellor
Wow, Wayne, that was a lot of information. Thanks for sharing Smile

I have been meaning to get a surge protector for a while now, but I just keep putting it off (which is bad, I know). I'm glad I stumbled across this thread to remind me and now I'm going to make it a priority the next time I'm in town.
Re: Surge protectors [message #62370 is a reply to message #62311] Wed, 21 April 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioAJ is currently offline  AudioAJ
Chancellor
Maxie wrote on Fri, 09 April 2010 10:47
I'm just looking for a quality home surge protector to plug my home entertainment equipment into. I had a Sony that was pretty well melted in a violent thunderstorm we had recently. It did protect my equipment though.

The surge protector did a nice job. I've always felt that a good surge protector is worth it's money in the equipment I protect.
Re: Surge protectors [message #62517 is a reply to message #62370] Wed, 05 May 2010 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SayWhat?
Esquire
That's wonderful! Yeah, I've had a few to "die" too. But that's what they're for. I don't mind replacing them as long as I don't have to replace TV's, audio equipment and computers. I know insurance will replace some but I would rather not replace if I don't have to.
Re: Surge protectors [message #62547 is a reply to message #62251] Fri, 07 May 2010 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TLC123 is currently offline  TLC123
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 13:18

There are plenty of different technologies of surge protectors. The ones we're talking about are secondary protectors, by the way. Secondary surge protectors include things like barrier strips and other equipment that contain surge clamping devices. Primary protectors are usually outside the building, and are larger capacity but their tolerance isn't as great - they tend to take the big hit but not clamp to as specific a range.

Examples of primary arresters are lightning rods and spark gaps. Secondary protectors are smaller devices, usually things like metal oxide varisters and surge clamping diodes. These days, you can find primary arresters with some of the same technologies as are found in secondary protectors, but the real determiner is size and location. The primary takes more of the hit and is mounted at the point of entry, whereas secondary protectors are inside, often at the recepticle.

I tend to like primary devices that are very simple and can take a whallop, like gaps and rods. They're just going to arc over when the voltage is high enough, and the only real damage they take is from melting or pitting. For secondaries, I like MOV devices for high voltage lines and SCD devices for low voltage lines. Surge clamping diodes tend to clamp at more precise voltage levels, and so I like them for signal level lines. MOV's are fine for AC, and tend to fuse shorted when "cooked", so they really should be used with a breaker. That's how most barrier strips are made. Once it is damaged, throw it away and replace it.

Secondary protectors are rated in Joules and in voltage, and in general, the larger the energy (Joules) rating, the better. The voltage should be roughly equal to the signal it's intended to protect, or slightly less. So for example, a device intended to protect a 12VDC line should not clamp below 14-18V or so. If the line ever rises above that level during normal operation, you definitely don't want the protection device to kick in, so it should be sized accordingly. If AC, don't forget that power lines are usually described in RMS, so multiply by 1.414, minimum. In other words, a 120VAC line will tend to swing from +170V to -170V. The protector should not clamp until at least 180V in either direction.

I have a rod outside my home. It's a ground rod. Does that mean I am protected and don't need to run surge protectors? I am running both right now.
Re: Surge protectors [message #62548 is a reply to message #62547] Fri, 07 May 2010 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most of the communications companies (telephone, cable, etc.) install a ground rod at the point of entrance. Naturally, they employ surge protectors to clamp their signal lines.

Re: Surge protectors [message #62567 is a reply to message #62250] Sun, 09 May 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
love4music is currently offline  love4music
Baron
There is a lot of great information in this post! Thanks for all of that. Right now my computer is the only electronic that I have on a surge protector outlet strip. I am going to go buy another for the TV.
Previous Topic: New to Car Audio
Next Topic: Grado Headphones?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:57:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout