Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Double thickness front?
Double thickness front? [message #62137] Sat, 20 March 2010 12:33 Go to next message
CZ Eddie is currently offline  CZ Eddie
Chancellor
I notice most pictures of the 4PI show the enclosure having a single thickness front, with both the 15" driver and horn mounted on top of the wood.

If I were to go with double-thickness front and flush mount the driver & horn, will that require any modification to the crossover or will it have any impact on the response?

This would bring the horn and baffle 3/4" forward, while the 15" driver stays the same. The vent would of course remain the same volume/length.
Re: Double thickness front? [message #62144 is a reply to message #62137] Sun, 21 March 2010 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I usually flush mount both woofer and tweeter. If you do that, no crossover changes are required. Both are sunk into the baffle very nearly the same amount. The tweeter is actually sunk into the baffle 1/2" and the woofer is 5/8", and this 1/8" difference does make slight shift in the position of the forward lobe, but it's tiny, so small it's even hard to measure.

Re: Double thickness front? [message #62146 is a reply to message #62144] Sun, 21 March 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CZ Eddie is currently offline  CZ Eddie
Chancellor
Thanks, Wayne. I didn't realize that. Do the plans include 3/4" all the way around, and an extra 3/4" for the front baffle for a total of a 1.5" thick front baffle?
Re: Double thickness front? [message #62147 is a reply to message #62146] Sun, 21 March 2010 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The plans show outside dimensions and specify 3/4" stock. What you can do if you want to route a recess to mount the drivers flush is to cut a ring to increase thickness just in the driver mounting area. Glue it behind the baffle, increasing the thickness in where the routed recess is cut and where the T-Nuts go. This adds thickness without displacing much internal volume. Or you can simply add another panel in front of the cabinet to increase front baffle thickness.

Re: Double thickness front? [message #62149 is a reply to message #62137] Sun, 21 March 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigmouthinDC is currently offline  BigmouthinDC
Baron
If you double up the front do you need to adjust the length of the pieces used for the port such that the effective length remains the same?
Re: Double thickness front? [message #62153 is a reply to message #62149] Sun, 21 March 2010 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Port length should be measured from entrance to exit, no matter what you've done with the baffle. So if the baffle is 3/4", then a 10" port should extend 9.25" back from it. If the baffle is 1.5", the port should extend back 8.5" back. Overall length - entrance to exit - should be 10".

Re: Double thickness front? [message #62165 is a reply to message #62137] Wed, 24 March 2010 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Would it be a bad idea to have only the woofer countersunk and not the horn?
Re: Double thickness front? [message #62168 is a reply to message #62165] Wed, 24 March 2010 10:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, that's OK but I think it looks much better to have the horn flare flush mounted as well as the woofer.

Some might chime in and say removing the diffraction edge is better when flush mounted. I wouldn't necessarily agree because the edge is so small it's acoustically "invisible" within the passband. But still, it doesn't hurt to remove that edge by flush mounting...

Previous Topic: Info request about Pi-one/two and subs
Next Topic: Speaker Plans Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 21:53:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout