Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Possibly Naive Qs from Newbie... resistors in xover
icon5.gif  Possibly Naive Qs from Newbie... resistors in xover [message #62098] Tue, 16 March 2010 13:18 Go to next message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
I'm ordering resistors to update the xovers in my recently acquired 3pi speakers and will be changing to the DE250 tweeter at the same time. I have some basic grounding in DIY electronics and reading schematics... just enough to be dangerous... but I want to make sure I'm following this correctly.

Schematic shows two 30ohm resistors in series (60ohm total) paralleled with another pair of 30ohm resistors in series for a total equivalent resistance of 30ohms. I'm assuming this is done to get the proper current rating required, rather than just using a single 30ohm resistor... correct?

Likewise, there is another set of 12ohm/16ohm resistors in series and paralleled with the same. However, I do not have a 12ohm resistor available to me (only 12.5 which may not matter?). Is there any issue with instead using 8ohm/20ohm resistors?

Thanks.
Re: Possibly Naive Qs from Newbie... resistors in xover [message #62099 is a reply to message #62098] Tue, 16 March 2010 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This is done to increase thermal capacity, that's right. More resistors handle more current with less heat.

And, yes, you can substitute 12.5Ω resistors in pl;ace of 12Ω, and 15Ω can be used in place of 16Ω. Those are the values I use when buying Mills resistors.

Re: Possibly Naive Qs from Newbie... resistors in xover [message #62101 is a reply to message #62099] Tue, 16 March 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
Thanks Wayne... I'm sticking with the Dayton resistors for now. They only have a 12.5 and 16 so I'll be half an ohm above the 28 spec (or use the 20 and 8?).

Out of curiosity, what do you use for the 4pi when using Mills in place of the 16 ohm resistors? That's my next project Smile
Re: Possibly Naive Qs from Newbie... resistors in xover [message #62103 is a reply to message #62101] Tue, 16 March 2010 14:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I use 15Ω values in place of 16Ω when buying Mills resistors.

Previous Topic: Baffle Step
Next Topic: 7PI midrange horn box volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:48:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout