Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi speaker stands?
4 Pi speaker stands? [message #62083] Sun, 14 March 2010 20:37 Go to next message
CZ Eddie is currently offline  CZ Eddie
Chancellor
First off, happy Pi day!

So I've noticed in Wayne's vertical response video and in various pictures on this forum, that folks seem to put the 4pi on speaker stands, angled up.

While other folks don't use any stands.

1) Is it okay to have the 4 Pi up against a wall behind it, or does this require a BSC modification to the crossover?

2) Is a stand heavily suggested and if so, what is the hight/tilt dimensions commonly used?
Re: 4 Pi speaker stands? [message #62089 is a reply to message #62083] Sun, 14 March 2010 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I generally suggest stands if subs are used, and no stands if subs aren't used. You can use angled risers instead.

Baffle step is actually a directivity issue, and all my larger speakers employ controlled directivity. The cornerhorns use the corner to help set the pattern, and while others don't, the baffle is large enough to create some directivity down into the modal region, where directivity begins to lose its meaning. That's where the multisub configuration will help.

Re: 4 Pi speaker stands? [message #62119 is a reply to message #62083] Wed, 17 March 2010 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Hey Wayne!

I just love bringing up other peoples threads. Razz

I've read that you recommend stands for the Pi4 when used with subs and that you also prefer a upwards tilt to them. This pic for instance:

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2009/Photos/PiSpeakers_02.jpg

I've read all over on your site but I have never seen many details regarding the stands that you use. I will have a trio of Pi4's behind an AT screen of 100" in size and need approximately 24" of lift for them to clear the bottom border of the screen.

How did you build yours and what angle would you recommend if I were to tilt them? Also, I love the love of your Pi4's. Is that a fancy wood or veneer? They are gorgeous!
Re: 4 Pi speaker stands? [message #62120 is a reply to message #62119] Wed, 17 March 2010 14:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The stands in that photo are 12" tall and have 7° tilt. There are lot of competent stand builders that can build to order. Most have standard sizes but will also custom build. They need to be a little larger than what some shops normally build but that's no problem. Just make sure the base is wide enough to support the speakera and be stable.

You can certainly make your stands 24" tall. I wouldn't angle them at that height though. Put subs within about 5 feet of the left and right mains and low-pass them fairly high, like 80hz to 100Hz. These are what I call "flanking subs" and they'll smooth the upper room modes. You can also put subs further away, low-passed at a lower frequency. These more distant subs will provide more smoothing in the lower modal region.

Previous Topic: 7PI midrange horn box volume
Next Topic: 1pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 11:35:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout