Home » Audio » General » Ear health
Ear health [message #61930] Tue, 23 February 2010 01:01 Go to next message
Lazarus is currently offline  Lazarus
Chancellor
I don't use headphones very often because I concern about my ear health. I hate hearing aids and don't want to spend the rest of my life using it. What do you experience? Does using headphones affect your ear health?
Re: Ear health [message #61940 is a reply to message #61930] Sat, 27 February 2010 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Headphones can definitely damage your hearing. The problem is that you start out listening at a comfortable level, then after a bit your ears get accustomed to that level and it seems too low, so you turn it up a bit more. Eventually you've got the volume up to such a loud level that you can induce hearing damage without even realizing it. You have to be conscious of the levels all the time and pay attention to your adjustments.
Re: Ear health [message #61991 is a reply to message #61940] Fri, 05 March 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Shane is right. I can personally testify that headphones can damage the ears. My left ear will hurt when it is subjected to prolong noise.

I have used earphones when I was in high school until college. I use it every time I go to bed. Now I'm suffering the consequences of leaving the earphone on my ear until I get to sleep.
Re: Ear health [message #62008 is a reply to message #61991] Mon, 08 March 2010 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
Whatever happened to common sense?! We all know that loud noises can damage hearing. So just don't crank up the music that loud. Its all under your own control!
Re: Ear health [message #62011 is a reply to message #62008] Mon, 08 March 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ah, but with headphones it's not just about being perceived as loud. Moderate volumes over a length of time can have the same effect. And like I said, if you listen for a while, say several hours, you tend to get used to the volume and perceive it as being softer, so in turn ramp up the volume a little. I've been guilty of this. I found out how loud it really was when I left the volume control alone at the end of a listening session, then played the same music back at that volume to start with the next day. It was very loud and I didn't even realize it the day before.
Re: Ear health [message #62029 is a reply to message #62011] Wed, 10 March 2010 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I can honestly say that I've never experienced that. I just don't mess with the volume unless my situation changes-for instance moving from a noisy bus to the house, when I turn it down.

Have you considered using a volume limiter for protection?
Re: Ear health [message #62030 is a reply to message #62029] Wed, 10 March 2010 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm careful now that I'm conscious of it. A volume limiter would be a pain as my headphones are all different and I'd have to adjust every time I switched.

I have a fair amount of hearing loss due to many loud concerts, the advent of the walkman when I was a kid (louder the better in those days), being in a band for many years, guns, etc..... We just didn't think about hearing protection 25-30 years ago. I've got a nice permanent ringing to keep me company in a quiet room from here on out.
Re: Ear health [message #62035 is a reply to message #62030] Wed, 10 March 2010 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Oh that ringing sound. It was explained to me before by a friend of mine who is majoring music in college that the ringing sound we are hearing are the notes or tone that the ears can't hear anymore. It sounds ironic and I still can't understand what he really meant even now.
Re: Ear health [message #62280 is a reply to message #62035] Sun, 04 April 2010 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I have tinnitus too so I feel your pain. I didn't end up with it because of noise though, so I haven't had to deal with that. Its a shame, being kinda self inflicted.
Re: Ear health [message #62404 is a reply to message #61930] Mon, 26 April 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
I have had chronic ear infections since childhood. My doctor always said that headphones were an absolune no-no for me. I don't let anything near my ears not even my husband.
Previous Topic: Sound sickness?
Next Topic: Is it called pacemaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:43:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout