Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5?
Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5? [message #61953] Mon, 01 March 2010 00:44 Go to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
To everyone:

I never saw Star Trek "Nemesis" (was too freakin' busy at the time it came out). But I saw it in a discount bin for $5, today.

I tried searching here for reviews but didn't really find much. One comment by Wayne sounded promising. So...

1) Is it worth $5 for the quality of the movie itself (storyline, etc.)?

2) Failing the above, are there good action sequences that would make for good Home Theater demo material, and is the audio and video quality good?

3) Etc.?

I've not been around much recently (another really busy period!) Will try to get back again with something half-way useful to say, sooner, next time!

Thanks!

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5? [message #61956 is a reply to message #61953] Mon, 01 March 2010 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Personally, I think Nemesis is pretty good. I've seen it in the budget bins, but I think they just made too many copies. It's definitely worth seeing, especially if you like the next generation series.

Re: Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5? [message #61957 is a reply to message #61956] Mon, 01 March 2010 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the feedback. I like TNG, not as much as Babylon 5, but that still puts TNG in the top 2% or so of what I might watch. Laughing

Any feedback from anyone on my 2nd question? I might buy a 2nd copy for my new part time job (seriously! -- will say a little more about that, later.) Very Happy

Thanks!

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Audio quality on movies and videos [message #61960 is a reply to message #61957] Mon, 01 March 2010 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Often, when I find myself impressed with something in a movie, I make a mental note of it for shows. But later, I always seem to come to a conclusion that movies don't really lend themselves to shows, and so I tend to forget which ones grabbed me.

I will say this though, I find DVD audio to be better than CDs, and I find Blueray audio to be better than DVD. I guess in a way this might be expected, but to me, it wasn't immediately obvious until I heard a few for myself. I would have expected the digital audio to be equally good on all sources, or at least potentially as good, because none are really bandwidth limited. All have more than enough digital bandwidth to support high, uncompressed data rates, far in excess of what is required for audio. But regardless of this, I find I am usually more impressed with Blueray audio, often finding it much better than the same content provided on DVD.

Re: Audio quality on movies and videos [message #61966 is a reply to message #61960] Tue, 02 March 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It's been suggested to me that, at least regarding movie soundtracks, since better audio is touted as being an advantage of BluRay, the creators take more care in creating a more realistic soundtrack. Ie., maybe the improvement is on the recording / mixing end, and has little to do with the digital technology itself. That might not explain though, CD vs. DVD vs. BluRay differences in sound quality, IF they all come from the same master. Unless, of course, the DVD's get eq'd / processed "for the masses", at a later stage, and the BluRay discs get edited / reprocessed (or less processed?) for "audiophiles."

I'm just speculating with little evidence to actually go on. Laughing

So... Nemesis sounds ok (not too overblown on the sound?) That and good video quality / special effects would be icing on the cake. (I kinda assume the effects are excellent.)

Shoot, my fave is Babylon 5, which is old enough to be sometimes seriously lacking in video quality, and has a mysteriously missing deep bass, but story and drama-wise, etc., I still like it best. (Hugo awards used to really mean something.) Smile

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5? [message #61967 is a reply to message #61953] Tue, 02 March 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
FWIW, I remember Irving Fried playing "The Klingon Battle" from the 1st Star Trek movie, at CES, and immediately I went and got the Telarc CD. I used to then play that 1st scene (on TV) while playing the CD (with care, it sync'd fairly well, for the most part) on a pretty good system, and that definitely wow'd a few people. Smile

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Is Star Trek "Nemesis" worth $5? [message #61969 is a reply to message #61967] Tue, 02 March 2010 11:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, it might be mixing and content, more than just format and/or stream quality. The same is true of some of the old analog half-speed masters on vinyl. Whatever the case, the improved sound quality on Bluray pretty noticeable in a lot of movies.

Previous Topic: Really good albums . . newly acquired or stalwarts
Next Topic: Seven Pounds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 08:58:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout