Home » Audio » General » Does Anything Top Sennheiser?
Does Anything Top Sennheiser? [message #61865] Mon, 15 February 2010 16:35 Go to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
I only ever buy Sennheiser now, after a few bad experiences with Sony, Panasonic and other brands. Sennheiser have the most beautiful and true sound, and have lasted well.

Is there another brand I should consider-am I missing out by being so brand loyal?
Re: Does Anything Top Sennheiser? [message #61901 is a reply to message #61865] Thu, 18 February 2010 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
I had never heard of the Sennheiser brand before and when I looked it up online I understood why. It is way out of my price range for a pair of headphones.
Re: Does Anything Top Sennheiser? [message #61942 is a reply to message #61865] Sat, 27 February 2010 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sennheisers are nice, for sure, but it depends what kind of music you listen too as well, IMO. There are many models of Senn's, and not all of them sound very good. For classical reproduction I really prefer the more expensive Senn's I've heard, but for rock I'd pick Grado's every time. I think they do a better job of producing that "slam" that I'm looking for. On the other hand, I've got a pair of AKG's K240S cans that I like very much for both. You can get into a set of decent Grados, AKG's, or Senn's for around $100. You don't have to buy the $400+ cans to get good sound. And those headphones IMO do an outstanding job, but only if the rest of your music chain is up to the task. Thay can be very revealing and show you just how good you system doesn't sound. It's just like in stereo Hi-Fi, you need a good CDP or source, a good amp, and good phones. You aren't going to get the finest of sounds by plugging in a $400 set of headphones into your iPod.

As a side not, it seems as though most consider the best phones to be electrostatic models like the old STAX. But I know they are very expensive and I've never personally heard them.
Re: Does Anything Top Sennheiser? [message #61959 is a reply to message #61942] Mon, 01 March 2010 10:48 Go to previous message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
I've not heard of those. I was turned onto Senns when I started out and just haven't drifted because they do me so well. I agree though that your entire system must be up to specs, and that not all models are that good.
Previous Topic: headphone amp
Next Topic: iPhone Compatible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:37:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout