Home » Audio » General » headphone amp
headphone amp [message #24958] Thu, 18 October 2007 18:22 Go to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
A headphone amp is simply a miniaturized power amplifier specifically designed to drive the miniature speakers inside headphones. Because headphones are often used in portable applications, many headphone amps are conveniently battery-powered. Headphone amps can also be used in a workstation or desktop setting where they sometimes act as a switch between various sound sources or as a pre-amp for powered desktop speakers. Dedicated headphone amps may also include USB connections for use directly with a computer's USB audio-out and digital inputs (optical, co-axial) for compatibility with most digital-output audio sources.

Re: headphone amp [message #24970 is a reply to message #24958] Mon, 22 October 2007 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Thanks for the information willyable. So the headphone amp basically makes the headphones louder. Makes sense.

Re: headphone amp [message #24979 is a reply to message #24970] Tue, 06 November 2007 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
They do more than just make them louder depending on your source. If your source has a line out, which is best, then you can tailor the design of the amp to achieve a certain type of sound your looking for (eg. quick/tight bass, sweet mids (think tubes), etc....)
And some headphones like Grados like a lot of current which many sources cannot supply in the amount that lets them work their best.

Check out HeadFi.com and Headwize.com for more than you ever wanted to know.

Here's a few of mine that I've built that I have on the web. Several more in the works.

Re: headphone amp [message #24981 is a reply to message #24979] Wed, 07 November 2007 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Those are gorgeous amps! Congratulations! Why did you use tubes instead of more modern parts?

Re: headphone amp [message #24982 is a reply to message #24981] Wed, 07 November 2007 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I feel tubes give a more "musical" presentation than solid state. Tubes, especially in a single ended application, tend to give a very lush/sweet midrange and high end. SE amps can have less tight bass, that's where solid state excels. You can equal SS or get close with some push-pull tube designs. SS just always sounded somewhat lifeless and sterile to me. On that note I have a SS amp that I love. But when doing serious listening for pleasure the tubes get fired up. I suggest that if you ever get a chance to hear a good tube setup do it. If you're able to come to Dallas next year for the Lone Star Audio Fest you can hear some very nice setups, tube and SS.

Re: headphone amp [message #24983 is a reply to message #24982] Thu, 08 November 2007 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I am defintely coming to LSAF next May. When I saw mention of last year's convention, I wanted to come but then realized I had missed it. I'll be there in 2008 for sure. I have never heard a tube amp yet.

Crystal

LSAF [message #24984 is a reply to message #24983] Thu, 08 November 2007 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You'll have a great time and meet some great people. I couldn't make it last year either, but am looking forward to this coming May.

Re: headphone amp [message #61921 is a reply to message #24958] Sun, 21 February 2010 21:28 Go to previous message
Fenton is currently offline  Fenton
Esquire
Thanks for the info its good that we have that input.
Previous Topic: I got Myine
Next Topic: Does Anything Top Sennheiser?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 09:55:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio