Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7 Pi impedance range
7 Pi impedance range [message #61825] Wed, 10 February 2010 15:43 Go to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Hi Wayne,

I'm thinking of upgrading the output transformers on my Paramours and was wondering if you could give me an idea of the impedance range for th 7 Pi's (B&C DE250, Delta 10 & Omega pro). As the speakers are in for the long term it would be good to ensure the amps are the best match possible.

Regards

Paul
Re: 7 Pi impedance range [message #61827 is a reply to message #61825] Wed, 10 February 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/sevenPi_impedance.gif
Re: 7 Pi impedance range [message #61829 is a reply to message #61827] Thu, 11 February 2010 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That's great - thankyou

Paul
Re: 7 Pi impedance range [message #61835 is a reply to message #61829] Thu, 11 February 2010 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It really is a nice impedance curve for tube amps, without any real peaks. It's scaled to show what little fluctuation is there, but you'll notice minimum impedance is 5Ω and max is about 13.5Ω. That's really good. Most loudspeakers have peaks of at least twice this high, and only the most well behaved speakers are even that.

It's not uncommon to see loudspeakers that average 8Ω to have maximum impedance of over 50Ω, and I've seen some go as high as 200Ω. So 13.5Ω is just nothing, an easy drive for a tube amp. That's really important, because amps like those have relatively high output impedance - a couple ohms, typically - and this forms a voltage divider with the load.

When the load impedance fluctuates a lot, the voltage division proportions change between source and load, and this causes response fluxuations. A ten-fold change is pretty significant, and can be seen in the response. But a two-fold change is nothing. It's rare to find a speaker that's as flat as that, but it's an important attribute to consider when using low-power SET amps.

icon14.gif  Re: 7 Pi impedance range [message #61842 is a reply to message #61835] Fri, 12 February 2010 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Indeed it does look very nice - which means I'm definitely going to replace the Paramour's output transformers with some MagneQuest magic. Thanks for your help.

Paul
Re: 7 Pi impedance range [message #61845 is a reply to message #61825] Sat, 13 February 2010 08:18 Go to previous message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
This looks like it is right in line with what I know about sound reproduction. Great !!!
Previous Topic: speaker damping
Next Topic: Let me give credit where credit is due !!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:52:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio