Home » Audio » General » Speaker Spikes (For my ART arrays)
Speaker Spikes [message #61640] Thu, 31 December 2009 14:43 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, with Xmas and the rest of the month going to hell in a bucket, I will hopefully be ready for carpet in my music room in the next several weeks.

I'm needing to put spikes or something on the ART arrays to level them out and give them some stability on the carpet and was thinking about using some arrow points from my hunting stash. The points are screw in obviously and come with aluminum inserts. The only problem I see is that the threaded portions are somewhat small at about 3/16" or so (I've never bothered to measure for sure) I can't see spending $50 on 1" spikes on these speakers, it just doesn't seem to keep with the spirit of things.
Re: Speaker Spikes [message #61642 is a reply to message #61640] Thu, 31 December 2009 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a really cool idea, Shane. Sounds like it should work great. It's a no-nonsense approach too. I like it!

Re: Speaker Spikes [message #61644 is a reply to message #61642] Thu, 31 December 2009 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
And there are many different "styles". Here are just a few of those out there:

http://www.archerywarehouse.com/FIELDTIPS.htm
Re: Speaker Spikes [message #61660 is a reply to message #61644] Sat, 02 January 2010 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Shane,

These points look great for speaker spike duty.

I like the Saunders Target Point, looks familiar in the speaker spike world.

There might be enough thread to install a lock nut so the point height does not move after finding proper position.

I am in for a couple dozen of these spikes, what about you?

Thanks for bringing this up, great idea.

Norris
Re: Speaker Spikes [message #61662 is a reply to message #61660] Sat, 02 January 2010 09:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think they would work. Like I said my only concern is the diameter of the threaded part. Most spikes are 1/4", where arrow points are about 3/16". And you can usually get these at a lot of Walmart stores.

Here is a link to the inserts we use in arrows. Many different types as well, depending on what arrow you use. You could just drill a slightly undersize hole and press fit them.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Arrow_Inserts.html
Previous Topic: Happy New Year!
Next Topic: Puzzled - Please help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 03:15:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers