Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 0.5Pi? (Smaller version for bookshelf/surround)
0.5Pi? [message #61559] Tue, 15 December 2009 19:07 Go to next message
GeEkBoY is currently offline  GeEkBoY
Esquire
Just curious if the Eminence ALPHA-6C would pair well with the Vifa DX25. It looks like they might be a good match on Paper. Both are 4 ohm with near identical efficiency. For full range, subs would be required but for a surround or bedroom bookshelf they might be just right.

ALPHA-6C
http://www.eminence-speaker.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=alpha-6c&speaker_size=6&SUB_CAT_ID=2

I am wanting to run this initially off a tripath T2020 so the 4 ohm load would be ideal and should make a nice match with clean power up to 10W and max of 20W.

thanks for any input.
Re: 0.5Pi? [message #61560 is a reply to message #61559] Tue, 15 December 2009 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could sure do that and the size would be very nice. But there would be no bass - even the Alpha 8 is pretty light in the bottom end. Of course, you can make the box larger and push the extension somewhat deeper. But even then, you can't go too far before you run out of gas.

Don't take this as a dismissal though. If you run subs, then you can keep the main speakers size down and still have some extension. In a way, this is like a three-way speaker but the woofer is detached. It allows you the flexibility of a variety of placement options and it also gives an opportunity to exploit the multisub approach. That's definitely a plus.

Re: 0.5Pi? [message #61561 is a reply to message #61560] Tue, 15 December 2009 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne, thanks for the quick reply.

You are very much on the same wave link as me on this. I figure the 6.5 will run out just at the point where directionality matters so with 2 or 3 subs you would have a very nice low power home theater system.

The secondary reason for this is when I am camping out in the Rockies miles from a power source. Music is a must around the campfire so that is a big part of the reason for a TA2020 driving the speakers off of a spare 12V auto battery. If I want a sub up in the woods though, that is a little more challenging. How would you increase the efficiency of the 3Pi sub? I know, I know, 92 is great for a sub. I would also want to drive it with a digital amp to keep the power draw to a minimum - hopefully a tripath based one- still need to figure that out.

Re: 0.5Pi? [message #61562 is a reply to message #61561] Tue, 15 December 2009 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Where subs are concerned you can either have deep bass, high efficiency or small size - never all three. If you want deep bass and high efficiency, you need a large box. Sounds like that's out. Since we're talking subs here, extension is probably not something you can move much on. Might be able to live with an octave less on the bottom end though. But in the end, I think you'll probably have to live with lower efficiency unless you can go to something the size of a hornsub. Your switching (digital) amp idea will provide a pretty good amount of power in a lightweight package, and it doesn't draw a lot of (quiescent) power supply current either. Should drive the subs nicely.

Re: 0.5Pi? [message #61563 is a reply to message #61562] Tue, 15 December 2009 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

Where camping is concerned, size matters. Raising the frequency response is the only logical route. 20 hz is amazing and if the home theater system has 2 subs with that design it should be good. If I have one sub with higher efficiency but a higher frequency tuning that would be the compromise I am looking for for the third I take camping with me.

thanks,

JL

Re: 0.5Pi? [message #61566 is a reply to message #61563] Wed, 16 December 2009 10:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I understand. I was thinking you might be able to move the cutoff up an octave or so to get size down and still be pretty happy with the results. That would allow you to go with a smaller box, easier for carrying, more in line with what you're looking for, I think.

Previous Topic: 4-Pi box size ?
Next Topic: 4's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:59:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout