Home » Audio » Speaker » Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line
Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61518] Tue, 08 December 2009 18:41 Go to next message
Villain3g is currently offline  Villain3g
Chancellor
I've got four Dayton RS 100-4's. I want to use them in a pair of bipole/dipole transmission lines tuned to 80hz. Im also going to attempt to laminate plywood to achieve a curved line. I have some questions:

Can two drivers occupy the same t-line?

Does the second driver's Sd affect the line length or cross section area?

Should they be wired bipole, dipole, or switchable?

Would curving the line be superior to the traditional folded line?

Attached is an un-proportional sketch... In the picture you can see a brace incorporated into one of the laminates to lock in the drivers.

I'm still in the brainstorming stage, any input is appreciated. The goal is to have them done by Christmas... We'll see

Specifications: * Power handling: 30 watts RMS/45 watts max * VCdia: 1" * Le: .67 mH * Impedance: 4 ohms * Re: 3.0 ohms * Frequency range: 80-20,000 Hz * Fs: 80 Hz * SPL: 87.2 dB 2.83V/1m, 84.2 dB 1W/1m * Vas: .07 cu. ft. * Qms: 3.10 * Qes: .57 * Qts: .48 * Xmax: 4mm * Sd: 37.4 cm2
index.php?t=getfile&id=118&private=0
  • Attachment: DSC01386.JPG
    (Size: 27.87KB, Downloaded 14640 times)
Re: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61611 is a reply to message #61518] Sat, 26 December 2009 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Made some headway on the speakers over the past two days. The New York snow storm gave me the push I needed to get started. Ive got them assembled and running, just need to finish them. My first impression was "WOW, There is actually some bass coming out of these." After the initial shock, I was disappointing with the upper frequency range. I haven't tuned the line yet. I imagine some dampening will clear that up some. Attached are some pictures of the construction process.
index.php?t=getfile&id=125&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=126&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=127&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=128&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=129&private=0
Re: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61613 is a reply to message #61611] Sun, 27 December 2009 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, wow, those look great! How do they sound?

Re: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61614 is a reply to message #61613] Sun, 27 December 2009 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
These were a gift for my brother for Christmas. The intention was to start him off on a surround sound system. Over the next gift giving opportunities I'll add the remaining speakers. These speakers are starting as fronts for a 2.1 setup but will become great rears later on.

For his first impression, I had my brother close his eyes while I played a vocal jazz track for him. Halfway through I had him open his eyes and he was completely surprised. He told me that he had envisioned two large floor-standing speakers and two small speakers hanging in the top front corners.

I couldn't have been more happy with his description. That was exactly what I was going for. I wanted a full sound with a broad sound-stage from a relatively simple package.

They could be brighter. Maybe they will become more agile as they break in.
Re: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61631 is a reply to message #61614] Mon, 28 December 2009 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Today I compared these speakers to the ESSs in the picture. Renaissance music with harpsichord seemed to not compete with the crisp treble of the Heil driver. But the speakers seem to excel with vocal jazz and other "small" music platforms. My impression is that they out perform the heils in this format. The vocal performer seems to come forward of the sound-stage while the ESSs appear to be a broad but still two dimensional. I believe this is due to an excess of midrange. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does limit style of music.
index.php?t=getfile&id=133&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=134&private=0
Re: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line [message #61632 is a reply to message #61631] Tue, 29 December 2009 07:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They sure are lovely speakers!

Previous Topic: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers
Next Topic: Interesting New Line Array Design
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:41:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio