Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Pi Speakers variations?
Studio Pi Speakers variations? [message #61425] Fri, 20 November 2009 12:43 Go to next message
KTuttle is currently offline  KTuttle
Esquire
I'm considering some of the variations of the Pi Towers, interested in some of the variants that are shown on the fredt300b photos. Some are tuned differently and others have used gr and Vifa tweeters. And are some labeled Studio's? Which combos have better synergy, as far a sounding better together?

And, is there info to look at for Fred's Selah Audio Texas Revelator Towers? They too should have higher WAF than my
LaScalas.

Back to listening to Downright, Upright!
Kevin
Re: Studio Pi Speakers variations? [message #61428 is a reply to message #61425] Fri, 20 November 2009 15:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

People have made various modifications over the years. Some I think are probably fairly "safe", others not so. The Studio Series are probably OK to modify to some extent, as long as the woofer and tweeter are kept fairly close together and you take care with the box size, shape and tuning. I'd probably want the woofer and tweeter in the same plane vertically. Box size can vary somewhat, as long as the Helmholtz frequency is maintained. This is pretty easy to model with a BR modeling program, and you can expect good results.

What's a little harder to understand is the effect of standing waves inside the box when you stretch it to make a tower form factor. That's a convenient shape, but I'd definitely model it with Martin King's spreadsheets, and measure the end result to be sure it's working right. Once a box becomes sufficiently tall and thin it starts to act like a tuned pipe, with standing wave resonances in addition to Helmholtz resonance. In this case, it is important that the woofer and port location be right, or else you can get some pretty serious ripples in response.

Previous Topic: 12pi sub simmed on akabak
Next Topic: Seven Pi Audition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:16:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout