Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven Pi Audition (Anyone in the Minneapolis area with Seven Pi Speakers??)
Seven Pi Audition [message #61371] Fri, 13 November 2009 16:36 Go to next message
Cut-Throat is currently offline  Cut-Throat
Esquire
This is my first post on this forum, but I am active on a lot of other audio forums. I was wondering what the closest place to audition the Seven Pi Corner speakers would be, without going to Oklahoma.

I currently have Klipshorn/Altec speakers (Also Corner speakers) but I am always curious how other hi-Eff speakers sound. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Minneapolis area that had the Seven Pi speakers that would be willing to give me an audition. In return they would be welcome to audition my System which consists mostly of 45, 2A3, 300B SET amps and the Khorn/Altec (Which consist of Khorn Bass Bins and Tweeters with Altec 1005B horns and 288-16K drivers).

here is a picture of my listening room with 1 speaker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Cutthroat-trout/Stereo%20Gear/ListeningRoom2.jpg?t=1258151649
Re: Seven Pi Audition [message #61372 is a reply to message #61371] Fri, 13 November 2009 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice looking speakers you have there!

Usually when someone writes like this, I send E-Mails to people that have bought kits or finished speakers in the area. But in your case, I'm not sure. Closest people I can see in the database are in Illinois. Then again, who knows, there are probably ten guys that build from plans for every one that buys a kit. So maybe someone will chime in.

In the meantime, I can send plans if you're interested in looking them over. You might do some searches here for "cornerhorns", which should yield plenty of posts. Here's one post that has a few links that describe many of the basic things that were important to me when designing these speakers, including a few that I found along the way.

Re: Seven Pi Audition [message #61376 is a reply to message #61372] Sat, 14 November 2009 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Illinois might work, as I get down there occasionally.

Thanks for the reply.
Re: Seven Pi Audition [message #61431 is a reply to message #61376] Fri, 20 November 2009 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I think this thread depicts the main problem audiophiles have in purchasing new gear.
Re: Seven Pi Audition [message #61433 is a reply to message #61431] Fri, 20 November 2009 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Then again, even though this is a semi-commercial venture it's really all about DIY. On one hand, this is a company support forum but on the other hand, it's really truly a DIY messageboard.

For the longest time, I gave out plans free of charge, actually, still do. I designed loudspeakers for me, to be the best I could make them sound, at various price points to suit my own personal needs. It's a labor of love, and treated more like an open source project than a commercial proprietary set of designs.

My smallest speakers are for bedroom systems and surrounds at very low cost. The cornerhorns are price-no-object statement speakers, designed to make a perfectly uniform sound field throughout the room. And the medium size DI-matched two-ways are for rooms that don't have corners, or where more placement options are needed. They cost a little less to make than the cornerhorns too, but with many of the same uniform directivity benefits.

Through the years, I have offered my speakers for sale, but more as a service, a labor of love, than as a commercial venture. In the early days, all were sold based on word of mouth, people hearing speakers in someone's house. Later, when the internet evolved, the messageboards served to pass the word. Of course, most people couldn't hear the speakers - the exact problem you're talking about - but the DIY'ers could kick ideas around.

On the messageboard, I could describe my process of matching directivity, designing the crossover for mass-rolloff compensation and positioning the forward lobe, and other things like that. Lots of other speakers have been developed in the last decade or so that follow these exact same philosophies, in fact, I'd say the so-called waveguide speakers (that copy my own in every relevant feature) are the latest audiophile craze.

This forum and others like it became a voice for DIY'ers, a place where they can all help each other. In my field of expertise, I think I can be helpful and I enjoy doing it. It's like knowing how to build an engine, and helping guys that have never done it before know the steps and all the little things you gotta know.

For every pair of speakers I build for someone, I sell ten pairs of kits and help a hundred people do their own DIY projects. It's really not about sales, it's about a love of the craft. Really, in all these years, I could care less if people bought my speakers or kits. What I like to see is people enjoying my speakers, and in many cases, they're building the speakers themselves without so much as a penny changing hands.

icon14.gif  Re: Seven Pi Audition [message #61438 is a reply to message #61371] Sat, 21 November 2009 10:30 Go to previous message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
We sure thank the Lord for Wayne P. help , I agree he helps a lot of us in speaker building. Thanks
Previous Topic: Studio Pi Speakers variations?
Next Topic: 7PI plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:30:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout