Home » Audio » Speaker » What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays?
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60869 is a reply to message #60868] Mon, 14 September 2009 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mayhem13 is currently offline  mayhem13
Esquire
The 10" woofers that you see are actually subwoofers with an Fs of 18hz in a sealed configuration. The OP's mains while capable simply can't keep up with the needed dynamic and peak output of a modern HT setup. The OP would most likely be replacing the current mains with arrays, in front of the subwoofer towers. The OP's a pretty not bad DIY designer and has built everything in that space including the awesome NHT mains you see pictured...impeccable detail. I probobly shouldn't speak on his behalf but i'm pretty sure i know what he's looking for and that's the peak response and dynamics that line arrays can deliver. Help him out...he'll do ya proud. He's the one who got me thinking arrays and god dammit he's got me back on it as well.If i keep down this path i'm gonna get a divorce for sure! Shocked
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60870 is a reply to message #60868] Mon, 14 September 2009 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scaper is currently offline  Scaper
Esquire
Smile I was hoping for help on the initial question before I posted the BASSment photo. Smile It was just a general line array question. Pay no attention to the photo sir......but if I must tell of the system I have and what I want, then I sure will.

The subwoofer system was designed with the same general idea of why line arrays are enjoyed. Less distortion and no need to crank them up all the way. There are 4 separate enclosures and I can run the 2 vertical ones, or the 2 horizontal ones, or all at the same time. They're very "musical" subs that were used in the NHT VT-3 system.

Anyway, I won't be running the mains you see in that photo if/when I build some arrays. Plus, I'm not sure the line arrays will even be used in that room. But I'd still love to build a pair because I've heard mostly good reports about them.

Being that this would be my first try at a line array, I wanted to go with cheaper drivers. I came across some decent looking 3"x5" drivers with a response of 90-16,000hz. They seem very promising. But I just wasn't sure if the oval style would lend itself better to a line array. It seems that it would actually be better going by the white paper, but I don't know.

You could keep the C to C spacing less than a 4" driver, yet you would have a 5" width.......things would be more linear I would think.

So, not considering that room I posted. Would the oval shape be okay to use? If so, would the typical crossover point still be figured using the C to C method?
Ignoring the little man behind the curtain.... [message #60871 is a reply to message #60870] Mon, 14 September 2009 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
OK.... I will ignore the little man behind the curtain.... er, I mean the interesting home theater room... Wink

Don't be putt off my anyone suggesting to you that inexpensive drivers won't work. My own system uses a 3.5 inch driver that was widely sold on the internet for $3.00. No one knows why Sammi of Korea thought that they could sell their 3 mm xmax little speakers for $17, but the couldn't and eventually they just unloaded them. I also used a very fine but inexpensive Dayton neo20FA tweeter because I love domes that are not driven hardly at all, and that can have their flanges cut to a C-to-C of about .80 fixing the comb filter distortion at beyond most people's audibility of 16,500hz+.

Suppose you build this? What were you considering for your tweeters? And what is the individual sensitivity of 4 x 6's? You do need to consider the c-to-c between the tweeters and Mids and the elongation might set that up as a problem horizontally.

Marlboro
Re: Ignoring the little man behind the curtain.... [message #60894 is a reply to message #60871] Wed, 16 September 2009 19:45 Go to previous message
Scaper is currently offline  Scaper
Esquire
Marlboro, these are the 3"x5" full ranges I bought. Can't beat the price:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-482

Now I had a really unusual idea that I would like to get your opinion on. You may dismiss this at first, but give it a little thought before the bashing begins! Very Happy

What about using this for the high frequencies:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-484

This is a very unusual driver. Here's what I am wondering about. Picture those 1"x4" drivers mounted vertically in a column. Maybe 3 full columns obviously touching each other. The entire middle column would be shifted down two inches so that the center aligns with the gap in the first and third column.....sort of like they do brick work.

Going by the white paper, would that not act like ribbon? Basically 3" wide and say 5' tall worth of "tweeters", or maybe 4" wide and 40" tall. Then maybe 24 3x5's running right along side.

Previous Topic: Fitting line arrays together
Next Topic: For those of you who own a line array.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:59:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio