Home » Audio » Speaker » Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers
Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #60815] Thu, 10 September 2009 07:36 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've avoided building them in the past because (except for some in hard-to-build horn enclosures) they all sounded thin and shouty to me, at least until I heard Bob Brines' MLTL's with digital equalization or a passive filter. PE recently introduced the Tang Band 1772, and based on Bob's listening impressions I've decided to build a pair using these drivers in his FE-2000 enclosures.

Go here for Bob's listening impressions:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1920475#post1920475

The TB-1772 is also the "secret driver" Duke has incorporated into his latest and more affordable bipole speakers. If Bob and Duke are both getting high on it, it must be good stuff!
http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12093&start=0&
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #60816 is a reply to message #60815] Thu, 10 September 2009 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Forgot to include this link. Is this a sexy looking driver or what?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-893
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #60820 is a reply to message #60815] Thu, 10 September 2009 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
Hey Fred,

While you're at it, you could elaborate by building an
offset bipole using Bob's geometry and tuning and Duke's
Dream Maker concept with a nod to Jim Griffin. Keeping life
simple, of course.

It sounds like you are back toward the high sensitivity
side. How would you compare your lower sensitivity/more
conventional efforts -- is it as simple as lower coloration
versus better dynamics?

Hope all's well,

Skip
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #60821 is a reply to message #60820] Thu, 10 September 2009 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Skip Pack wrote on Thu, 10 September 2009 12:35
Hey Fred,

While you're at it, you could elaborate by building an
offset bipole using Bob's geometry and tuning and Duke's
Dream Maker concept with a nod to Jim Griffin. Keeping life
simple, of course.

It sounds like you are back toward the high sensitivity
side. How would you compare your lower sensitivity/more
conventional efforts -- is it as simple as lower coloration
versus better dynamics?

Hope all's well,

Skip

Sorry, Skip, the speaker you described in the first paragraph above sounds too simple, so could I make it an offset bipole MLTL line array? Actually, there are some effective meds for bipolar people like Duke, except that occasionally they become schizophrenic, believing they are surrounded by a swarm of little subwoofers or something equally delusional.

High sensitivity not! The typical 95dB sensitivity full range single driver offers that sensitivity only above 1khz, so you need a BSC filter to tame the highs, taking it down to the 90 to 92dB sensitivity range. Not a problem if you've moved all your tweekie/deekie little SET amps to a closet and replaced them with a real amp like a Krell.
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #60822 is a reply to message #60821] Thu, 10 September 2009 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
You can pull all those amps out of the closet if you
use a line level BSC filter ahead of the amp. (That's not
quite true, you still need more power, but less than you
would with the filter 'twixt the amp and the speaker).

Skip
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #61139 is a reply to message #60822] Wed, 07 October 2009 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Skip Pack wrote on Thu, 10 September 2009 14:35
You can pull all those amps out of the closet if you
use a line level BSC filter ahead of the amp...
Skip

This is a one month delayed response, but you make a good point! I once tried a Behringer DEQ2496, which worked great for equalization, but it diminished the soundstage. I've been considering a dbx DriveRack PA+. I was told it sounds better than the less expensive Behringer products, but at $500 it would cost more than the speakers. The upside is that it's also an electronic crossover, which I could use with two-way speakers.

I've finally gotten around to cutting some mdf panels, so the project is now underway.
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #61349 is a reply to message #61139] Sat, 07 November 2009 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They're up and playing.
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Speakers/132721_wacsQ#705734896_T4Duo
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #61350 is a reply to message #61349] Sat, 07 November 2009 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Is that birch? As usual, you've done a fine job with the cabinets.

Let us know your impressions. Both initial impressions and those after living with them a few weeks and getting to know them.

Looking good!

Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #61352 is a reply to message #61350] Sat, 07 November 2009 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 07 November 2009 17:34

Is that birch? As usual, you've done a fine job with the cabinets.

Let us know your impressions. Both initial impressions and those after living with them a few weeks and getting to know them.

Looking good!

It's 3/4" mdf with 1/4" plywood panels glued to the inside with a thick coat of liquid nails. Yes, you have to sleep with a pair of speakers before you can know if they're right for you.
Re: Finally Building Full Range Single Driver Speakers [message #61391 is a reply to message #61352] Tue, 17 November 2009 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
One of the advantages of the offset bipole configuration is that the baffle step is to a certain extent side-stepped. At the frequency where the front woofer (or fullrange) starts to bafflestep, so does the rear one... so its wraparound helps offset the bafflestep of the front driver.

Previous Topic: MTM horizontal arrays
Next Topic: Dipole/Bipole Transmission Line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:57:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout