Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Beatles Box Sets
The Beatles Box Sets [message #60804] Wed, 09 September 2009 12:38 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I spaced off ordering my mono box set several weeks ago and was beginning to wonder if there were going to be more. Late last night Amazon put them back up for pre-order on a second shipping of the mono sets. I was going to go to Best Buy this morning to see if they happened to get a mono set in, but decided I'd just stick with my Amazon order. I figure I'll get the last three CD's in stereo, the start buying the stereo versions one at a time. The set is going to make a great 40th birthday present to myself.

Anyone else looking at the remasters?
Re: The Beatles Box Sets [message #60811 is a reply to message #60804] Wed, 09 September 2009 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome. I'm planning to buy them too.

Re: The Beatles Box Sets [message #60812 is a reply to message #60804] Wed, 09 September 2009 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I evidently got lucky and they had just several sets that were cancelled orders that I managed to grab one of. Should be here Friday. Everyone else will have to wait 6 weeks or so.

Now to go out and at least pick up Abbey Road, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be in stereo to have the complete set!
Re: The Beatles Box Sets [message #60841 is a reply to message #60811] Fri, 11 September 2009 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 21:22

That's awesome. I'm planning to buy them too.

Wayne, seriously think about preordering the mono set!!

I listened to the 1987 stereo version of Sgt. Pepper and Revolver, then the mono's. The mono's just BLOW AWAY those versions. It's like have a better stereo sound to me when listened on a two speaker system. Obviously not as wide a soundstage, but the space from speaker to speaker is just tremendous. You can hear every little detail. You can actually hear Paul's bass, pounding away as clear as day and low n' strong. The mixing is a little low for my Darling amp (3/4 watt), and is probably down 2-3dB from the 1987 recordings, so it takes another 1/3 on the volume pot. On the SS amp no problem. This is a good thing though, as it shows very little compression, if any was used at all, and gives the recordings way more dynamic range.

I A-B'd those two albums and then let Roxann listen, who is not familiar with much Beatles. She was absolutely stunned at the difference and actually sat down and didn't say a word for 30 minutes or so. A good sign!!!

I'm backing them up as flac files using EAC tonight before listening any more.

Re: The Beatles Box Sets [message #60843 is a reply to message #60841] Fri, 11 September 2009 21:10 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean. I have a real nice Japanese mono pressing of Sgt. Pepper's that I got many years ago. It sounds like a half speed master.

Previous Topic: Summer Sci-Fi
Next Topic: Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:33:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout