Home » Audio » Speaker » For those of you who own a line array.....
For those of you who own a line array..... [message #60798] Tue, 08 September 2009 22:48 Go to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Tell us what kinds of music that you can listen to now that you are no longer tied to "miniature music". And please tell us why.

I had a three way with the same 12 inch 15 mm xmax woofer I have now along with a quality 5.25 inch Vifa mid and an Audax 1 inch dome tweeter. Total SPL of the system was about 92. I loved it but.....

I'll start

1. 1st of all, Pipe organ. I rarely listened to my organ recordings at all. Now they sound big, like in a church. People say it sounds like you are in a church.

2. Solo piano. I could play it as loud as I play it now, but it never really sounded like piano. It seemed like all the sounds were not there. Now it sounds like there is a piano in the room with me.

3. Renee Fleming with orchestral accompaniment. The dynamic range from almost a whisper to full loud is all there. Before if I played it softly, it didn't get very loud, and if I played it loudly, it distorted, but it couldn't play softly. Now it goes from leaves rustling to full orchestra with no distortion anywhere along the way. I get tears in my eyes listening to her. The complete lack of any distortion at any volume level I care to listen at, after almost 5 years of listening is still astounding to me.

I have more but I don't want to steal other people's thunder

Marlboro
Re: For those of you who own a line array..... [message #60803 is a reply to message #60801] Wed, 09 September 2009 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well..... I can't speak for other line array systems but mine does it well. There is something to be said for in the total system, having two big 15 mm xmax woofers, 34 mid range speakers, and 60 tweeters, driven in a tri amped system with 1400 watts. Not to put down smaller line arrays with only 16 total mid ranges, and 12 total tweeters, of course.

Sounds pretty real to me compared to real real.

Marlboro
Re: For those of you who own a line array..... [message #60858 is a reply to message #60798] Sat, 12 September 2009 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SophiaMendoza is currently offline  SophiaMendoza
Esquire
I really like small group Celtic but I don't have a line array. I wish I did.
Re: For those of you who own a line array..... [message #60904 is a reply to message #60798] Thu, 17 September 2009 11:35 Go to previous message
jp is currently offline  jp
Chancellor
I love classic jazz , specially live , I turn off all the lights ecxept a small lamp and there it goes the band is here just in front of me, keeping me smiling all along and even clapping my hands on solos ....double bass solos are incredible , piano is just on the feft near my bar cabinet and the drums just takes your breath away , dynamics are incomparable .
JP
Previous Topic: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays?
Next Topic: transparency
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:06:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout