Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Jimmy Ray Parham
Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 16:09 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My Dad died Thursday at 5:30pm. He was out working in his yard, because he liked keeping it nicely landscaped. He finished up, came inside, felt light of breath, and died. Mom comforted him with a damp cool towel, and held him as he passed.

http://www.parhamdata.com/Jim_Parham.jpg

In the 1950's, Dad loved automobiles. He knew every make and model by sight. In high school, he dated my Mom, whose family owned the Chrysler/Plymouth dealership (back then, also Studebaker and Packard). She was the perfect girl for him.

Naturally, Dad worked in the car business too, early on in the parts department at Volkswagen dealerships in Texas and Oklahoma. He worked his way up into management and eventually to being General Manager and partner, owning part of the business. He opened the first real Porsche dealership in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1972.

Dad's dealership, Precision Imports, was really something. It had the most stylish showroom and the coolest cars. The 1970's were a time when German automobiles were becoming more and more powerful. In 1976, Porsche introduced the now famous Turbo Carrera. Peter Gregg (car number 59, the Brumos Porsche almost every model replicates) was a personal friend and we hung out in the pit when he ran at Hallett. Dad's picture was in Time Magazine, as he was named one of the top dealers in the country. These were heady times.

What is probably most impressive about my Dad is even when his career was approaching its Zenith, he never lost his approachability or his genuine bond with life-long friends and family. When my high school buddies went to get their first car, Dad was usually the one to get it for them. Cars are a sort of passage, from boy to man, and he knew how important that was. Most of us got our first car and some of us even got our first jobs from him. He put wheels under us so we could get to school, to our first jobs and on ours first dates. Dad took care of us.

Most of all, the thing I'll miss most is the cookouts, the knowing that when I got to Mom and Dad's house every few weeks or so, Dad would be out on the porch cooking on the grill. I won't ever see him standing on the porch like that again. We spoke on the phone usually at least once a week and got together at least once a month. We were buddies. He was an impressive man and all that, but the thing I'll miss most is the simple stuff. I'll just miss seeing him.

Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60700 is a reply to message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry for your loss, I know exactly how you feel.

Best wishes,

Russellc
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60701 is a reply to message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
Wayne, that was a beautiful eulogy of an amazing life. Thank you for sharing it with us.
"We were buddies". The simple stuff is usually the most profound, isn't it?
You'll 'see' your Dad again, often and in many different forms. Someone who makes up such a big part of our own soul never dies.
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60702 is a reply to message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Wayne,

I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful Father that I know you loved dearly. I lost my Father in 1997 after many years of suffering from a heart desease.

I am happy that your Father passed quickly and did not have long suffering.

I hold on to the hope that I will be reunited with my Father some day.

Until then, I keep trying to live life like I mean it. And cherrish all of the important lessons that he taught me along the way.

We have our memories.

Love

Norris
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60703 is a reply to message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aikenjt is currently offline  aikenjt
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

I'm so sorry to hear the news of your father's passing. You and yours are in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Jeff Aiken
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60704 is a reply to message #60699] Sat, 29 August 2009 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Same here God be with you and your family.
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60708 is a reply to message #60699] Sun, 30 August 2009 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne, my deepest condolences. It sounds like your Dad was a great man and you had a wonderful relationship with him! You'll always have those memories to cherish. At least he avoided traumatic suffering and extended illness, which is a blessing. I lost my Dad 20 yrs ago this month. After awhile the grief becomes more balanced with all the good memories, but it's still a void and I still miss him a lot. Take especially good care of yourself and your loved ones during this time. Matts
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60709 is a reply to message #60708] Sun, 30 August 2009 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm filled with sorrow at the loss of your father but know your family and friends will see you through because, like you paint your dad, you're a guy people love.

Bill
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60710 is a reply to message #60699] Sun, 30 August 2009 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biglaz is currently offline  biglaz
Baron
Wayne,

I am wishing you and your family my deepest condolences.

Robert
Re: Jimmy Ray Parham [message #60714 is a reply to message #60710] Mon, 31 August 2009 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Wayne, very sorry to hear about your loss! If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Previous Topic: Request for plans; 2 Pi
Next Topic: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:50:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout