Home » Audio » Speaker » shouting voices (annoying shout specially in male voices)
shouting voices [message #60675] Wed, 26 August 2009 00:02 Go to next message
jp is currently offline  jp
Chancellor
need help .
My array has 8 GR M165x and 8 Fountek Neo CD2
I'm using Behringer DCX 2496 @80hz 24db LR for subs and 2000hz 24db LR Mid and 2000 hz 24db LR High .
I'm getting an annoying shout in voices specially male voices and less in female I tried to EQ -6db @ 250 to 500 hz but without much effect , could somebody help.
JP
Re: shouting voices [message #60680 is a reply to message #60675] Wed, 26 August 2009 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
It looks like it should work..... The mid is pretty flat, and the tweeter is pretty fine. Speakers with an elevated upper bass hump will make most male voices sound thick or fat, rather than natural and real. You mid rangers don't show that hump.

You might need to adjust the relative amplifier power of the tweeters vs the mids, but I really don't see that as an issue.

I wonder if its your room, or the material that you are listening to. What kind of an equalizer did you try? Was it a DOD or is it a digital one as part of your electronic crossover? Its possible that you didn't notice the poor quality of the recording until after you listened with the line arrays. I had that happen to me.

A well-recorded male vocal such as Harry Connick's voice on the soundtrack CD from When Harry Met Sally (any track except track 1, which has harsh trumpets), or James Taylor's concert DVD Live at the Beacon theater, should be smooth and natural, with no fuzzy or low bass emphasis.

I hope someone can diagnose your problem if its not this, or if its your room.

Eric J.
Re: shouting voices [message #60682 is a reply to message #60680] Wed, 26 August 2009 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Room modes definitely exist up into the lower midrange. If the speakers sound right outdoors, then it's the room. That's a relatively easy test.

If it's the room, I'd suggest trying a multisub arrangement. The idea is to make an array of subs to smooth the modal range. Of course, this will only work if the subs are crossed in the range that's causing trouble. You don't generally want distant subs low-passed too high, so you might stagger crossover frequencies with the closest subs crossed higher than the more distant ones.

Subs placed near the mains are what I call flanking subs, because they are placed physically close (usually between four and eight feet from the mains) and low-passed in the lower midrange, 80Hz to 120Hz, sometimes a smidge higher or lower. The idea is to smooth the modes with dense interference, a sort of by spatial averaging.

Re: shouting voices [message #60686 is a reply to message #60680] Thu, 27 August 2009 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Eric
Thanks for your response .
The Behringer DCX 2496 has a built in parametric EQ , I was always trying to tame the 300 to 500 hz by 3 to 6 db but I think like you said I should try in the upper bass 100 to 200 hz and I'll post the resuls .Concerning recordings I am pretty sure I use high end audiophile recordings and I get more or less the same problem .I also listened very close to the speakers to eliminate some of the room effects and it is certainly coming directly from the Mid/bass drivers , I dont know how much influence can the room have when you listen at 50 cm distance ?
Could the problem be the stuffing inside the enclosure ? mine is heavily stuffed .
thanks
Re: shouting voices [message #60688 is a reply to message #60686] Thu, 27 August 2009 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
How many hours do the speakers have on them? Are the drivers new?
Switched the RS180's for Danny's GR m165x? [message #60696 is a reply to message #60688] Fri, 28 August 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
JP,

Let me get this right.....

You replaced the Dayton RS 180's on your Craig Selah R-8's with these very expensive GR m165x's at about the same price, ostensibly because you wanted a paper cone.

The last time you were commenting on the lack of "tone", ok with clarity, but lack of tone.

Is that where you stand now?

Back then you were posting as JP Haggar, and i was posting as Marlboro(my name on Parts Express).

Danny's site posts a frequency repsonse on the 165's. There is a clearly identified hump from 350hz rising 5 db and falling again to 550 and 650. There is also a rising hump at below 100 and up to 250. Neither of these things should be a problem unless perhaps your enclosure is reinforcing these frequencies, and you don't have enough stuffing to absorb it. You may have reinforcing back flow. Are the speakers in their altogether, or is each midrange in its own separate enclosure?

Something is reinforcing the two humps in the frequency response of that speaker. This was one of the reasons why my mid ranges were put in completely separate 4 inch x 23.5 inch tubes, and then stuffed with 4lb cu ft fiberglass: Elimination of any crosstalk between the speakers reinforcing negative characteristics of each other, and prevention of any muddying sound coming back through the speakers(which is not directly audible, but contributes to boominess in certain frequencies.

I'm also wondering if its a characteristic of line arrays to find yourself presented with a forward sounding vocal, just as you would find if you were in a small club listening to the vocalist in person. There are many characteristics that a line array projects from an actual performance that you just don't have in a point source speaker system no matter how good. Perhaps you are making comparisons of your line array not to the actual performances but to point source speaker systems that you have heard over the years.

Eric J.
Re: shouting voices [message #60705 is a reply to message #60688] Sun, 30 August 2009 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Drivers have about 50 hours .
Re: shouting voices [message #60706 is a reply to message #60705] Sun, 30 August 2009 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
jp wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 00:26
Drivers have about 50 hours .
Well, that right there might explain everything. Give them more time and then see. I've had drivers/speakers take 250 hours to fully relax - and that wasn't a matter of me getting used to their "sound".
Re: Switched the RS180's for Danny's GR m165x? [message #60707 is a reply to message #60696] Sun, 30 August 2009 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Eric
I'm Happy to discover that you are Marlboro and that you are still on the forum !!You put some life here !!
Yes I did change because I prefer the paper cone sound , and I can notice that the paper is now smoother and more realistic than the aluminum cone .I just need to get the crossover right to balance things up wich for me is a difficult task as I am really out of phase with crossover tweeking , the reason I have a Digital one !!Danny is helping me now getting thing closer to a smooth response , and all the advise I am getting from this forum helps me get more into understanding things around Xover .
To all members : keep the forum alive .
JP
Re: shouting voices [message #60747 is a reply to message #60682] Wed, 02 September 2009 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne
Thanks for the suggestions , but it is very difficult to move those arrays outdoors they almost weigh 120 KG.
As for the array of subs forgive my ignorance but I did not get the picture ? My subs are each 2 x 12 " crossed @ 80 Hz and placed on the outside of each array at a distance of 10 cm max.
I got to smooth the response by adjusting the SPL of the tweeters and mids , I now have a better sound on piano,guitars, voices ( with a hint of boxiness) but violins dont sound like ones , there is a lack of air and some hardness, and the sound gets confused with full orchestral passages.
Thanks for your help
JP
Previous Topic: Horns vs Arrays
Next Topic: Play it again Sam: Share about your line array!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:48:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio