Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Pi Driver Spacing
Four Pi Driver Spacing [message #60610] Sun, 16 August 2009 10:04 Go to next message
Stollie is currently offline  Stollie
Chancellor
Wayne, I'm thinking about building the 4 Pi,but with the intention of being able to upgrade at a later time to a 7 pi hybrid, adding the mid horn. I would like to move the HF driver out of the 4 bass bin and have it sit on top of the cabinet. Do you know what the approximate driver spacing is so I can move the LF driver higher in the box to compensate? Thank you.
Re: Four Pi Driver Spacing [message #60611 is a reply to message #60610] Sun, 16 August 2009 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The edges of the woofer and tweeter are less than an inch apart, making center to center spacing just under a foot. You're going top have to push the woofer all the way up in the cabinet, basically touch the edge to the top panel inside of the cabinet.

Re: Four Pi Driver Spacing [message #60615 is a reply to message #60611] Mon, 17 August 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stollie is currently offline  Stollie
Chancellor
Thanks for the reply. So this sounds do-able withought affecting the overall sound. I also noticed in you 3pi upgrade video clip than you have your 4 pi's on stands, so I'm guessing this is an OK approach, correct?
four π speakers + multisubs [message #60616 is a reply to message #60615] Mon, 17 August 2009 15:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When I don't run subs, I always position the woofer close to the floor to avoid floor bounce. I recommend floor standing or angled risers or no more than a few inches, if subs aren't used.

If subs are used, then I usually put the main speakers on a stand between 12" and 18". This brings the sound sources up to approximately ear level (seated) but also introduces floor bounce. However, properly positioned subs can smooth this with a multisub technique. I usually use what I call flanking subs placed just a few feet from the mains and low-passed at a relatively high frequency. Those smooth the upper modal range, up to the Schroeder frequency (including floor bounce). In some cases, I suggest other subs be used as well, placed further away and low-passed at a lower frequency. These provide additional smoothing at lower frequencies.

Previous Topic: 7-Pi 10 inch mid ?
Next Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:07:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout