Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Harmonic Distortion
Harmonic Distortion [message #60554] Sat, 08 August 2009 21:02 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Is there a lot less Harmonic distortion with the 4-Pis vs the 2-Pi s ??? thanks
Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60565 is a reply to message #60554] Sun, 09 August 2009 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, heavens yes. The distortion from the four π speaker (with 2226 upgrade) is much lower than from the two π. A properly designed shorting ring (like used in the 2226) reduces distortion approximately 15dB compared to a similar driver without a shorting ring. Add to that the fact that the four π is designed to handle 600 watts and the two π is designed for 100 watts - The four π has more excursion and thermal capacity. It's just loafing at the power levels where the two π is being pushed hard.

The two π is a budget speaker. I think it sounds amazingly good for the price. If I had $1000 to spend, I'd much rather have the two π tower than any other loudspeaker. Even if my budget were twice that, I think I'd rather have a pair of two π towers and a decent little ~$1K tube amp than a pair of entry level four π speakers on a two hundred dollar receiver. Both would cost about $2K, total system cost, speakers made from kits. I've had both setups, both are nice, the system with inexpensive powerful receiver is louder and the one with the tube amp is smoother, so each has its pros and cons.

If you have more money to spend, get the four π speakers with 2226 woofers and DE250 tweeters and also use three π subs. That's much better, but then again, it costs more too.

Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60568 is a reply to message #60565] Sun, 09 August 2009 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Does the 8-Pi have less distortion than the 2-Pi??? thanks
Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60569 is a reply to message #60568] Sun, 09 August 2009 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the eight π is better than the two π but not as good as the top-tier three π or four π. It fits in between, sort of where the five π would be or a 2.5π, if there was such a thing. The eight π is an intermediate level loudspeaker. It can be used in corners but doesn't have to, looks real cool and sounds good too.

Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60572 is a reply to message #60569] Mon, 10 August 2009 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Wayne,

This is an interesting thread and I was curious how you'd rate the 4 Pi with Eminence woofer compared to the JBL. Is the Omega more like the 2 Pi's Eminence woofer in audio performance (house sound, distortion, etc.) or closer to the JBL? Just curious if I should start saving up for the JBLs which my wife would just LOVE to hear about since I just sprang for the used Omegas not too long ago.

Thanks,

Garland
Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60574 is a reply to message #60572] Mon, 10 August 2009 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Eminence, but the JBL woofer is night and day better. The Omega 15 cone is pretty well behaved, so it doesn't have jagged breakup up high. But the shorting ring makes the difference. The JBL sounds much cleaner, with about 15dB lower distortion. It is also less fatiguing when you listen at higher volume levels or at moderate levels for an extended period of time.

Re: Harmonic Distortion [message #60584 is a reply to message #60574] Tue, 11 August 2009 12:17 Go to previous message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Wayne,

Darn it! I knew you'd say something like that! And now I have to scrimp and save and maybe if I'm a good boy I can buy myself a birthday present.

G.
Previous Topic: 2-pi tower.
Next Topic: 7-Pi 10 inch mid ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:31:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers