Home » Audio » Speaker » AE TD12S ((Split from the LSAF 2009 thread in the General forum))
AE TD12S [message #59592] Thu, 02 July 2009 10:03 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I purchased some AE TD12S midwoofers to try in my three π design, and am using the Smith & Larson tester to check them out. The three π speaker currently uses an Eminence Delta 12LF, and if this woofer works out, it will provide an upgrade option for that speaker.

I just did the electro-mechanical tests, and am now doing an in-box impedance sweep to make a ZMA file for the ICD. Then I'll use the ICD to look at the on-axis and off-axis response. If the woofer is smooth through the midrange (as I expect), then I'll make sure the crossover sets the forward lobe and vertical nulls where they should be, and if not, make changes accordingly.

Sure is nice to be able to have a tool like this. No more spending days trying to calculate phase and distances to estimate the position of the nulls, only to measure after the fact. WTPro makes it easy!

Re: AE TD12S [message #59601 is a reply to message #59592] Thu, 02 July 2009 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keith Larson is currently offline  Keith Larson
Baron
I just had a look at the AE TD12S and it looks like a great driver. One thing I could not quite make out is if it is actually under-hung because the last picture shows an over-hung motor. Then I read that the top plate is 19mm thick, and Le is quite low, so I suppose it is under-hung.

Re: AE TD12S [message #60426 is a reply to message #59592] Sat, 18 July 2009 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's a hybrid, actually, with the top plate shorter than the coil (like overhung designs) and a center pole that's much longer (like underhung designs). It also has a shorting ring that runs the length of the center pole:
http://www.aespeakers.com/images/lambdamotor.jpg

I've put more info about this driver and what I've done to design a speaker with it using your WTPro system at the link below:
Re: AE TD12S [message #60430 is a reply to message #60426] Mon, 20 July 2009 14:41 Go to previous message
Keith Larson is currently offline  Keith Larson
Baron
Ah, an extended pole piece with a decent copper Faraday ring.
Previous Topic: Fountek Neo CD 2
Next Topic: Crossing near Fs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 14:45:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout