Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7 Pi treble edge! (How to try and reduce this?)
Re: 7 Pi treble edge! [message #60365 is a reply to message #60362] Thu, 09 July 2009 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
All as supplied as standard on the crossover, phonostage has some dubliners(?) which were supplied with the Seduction, Foreplay didn't build myself but look standard. As for the Paramours, just doubled up on the power supply caps and replaced one of the Panasonics - not at all technically minded, so don't even know what it does really. Also swapped out the standard choke for a higher value Hammond and re-used the old one on the mains transformer in place of the standard resistor (all suggested by PJ). How about a picture?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/4will8/InternalUpgrade.jpg
PaulW
Re: 7 Pi treble edge! [message #60366 is a reply to message #59326] Thu, 09 July 2009 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
While the stock caps supplied with the std Pi and Bottlehead stuff are fine, when you have very high quality drivers and/or finicky ears, then upgrading the caps can make quite a difference, especially in the trebles you're discussing. I suspect this is a large part of what you're trying to achieve. I noticed large difference in my Bottlehead stuff with better caps, and I'm using P4's with JBL woofer and B&C DE250. I also used Auricaps in my xovers, except for the big one, I used an Obligato film that sounds very good and was much cheaper. When I just replaced one small Auricap in the high-freq compensation part of the xover, the highs smoothed out (to my ears) quite a bit.
I have a soviet teflon as coupling cap in Seduction, with an Auricap output cap, and all Auricaps in the Foreplay and Paramours. Others like different caps better, but the Auricaps are a safe buy. The Paramours also improve substantially with the better output xfmr, most notably in the quality of the bass. I think your speakers may be revealing some of the other limits in your gear and may not be all room issues. Most of these changes in the Bottlehead gear are quite ez to do and give a large bang for the buck. As with all this, it's subjective, but you're way up on the speaker food chain, and could upgrade some other parts to get all the benefits.
Re: 7 Pi treble edge! [message #60375 is a reply to message #60366] Fri, 10 July 2009 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Well MagneQuest transformers are going to have to wait until the exchange rate gets a bit better - but it will be done. I have to say, I usually steer clear of capacitor/resistor upgrades(?) as usually there are too many opinions of whats good/bad and the likely effects - life's too short to continually swap this stuff around fine tuning, I'd sooner spend my time listening. So Soniqs caps and Mills resistors are probably where it will start and end.

Confused

PaulW
Re: 7 Pi treble edge! [message #60379 is a reply to message #59326] Fri, 10 July 2009 13:35 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
yes, there are too many opinions, one for each person! And the only one that matters is your opinion of your system. If you're happy with what you hear in your room then nothing else matters.
Previous Topic: How to use code?
Next Topic: Finished Pi 4 with photos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 17:51:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout