Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Keep the Marshall or start over?
Keep the Marshall or start over? [message #27654] Wed, 18 February 2009 20:48 Go to next message
joey is currently offline  joey
Esquire
I play in a three-piece (guitar,drum,bass) blues/Americana/roots rock band with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with humbuckers. We play mostly small-medium sized bars. The sound I'm trying to achieve is a heavy, overdriven, dirty blues wail reminicient of the Black Keys, Jack White's less eccentric stuff, late 60's blues-rock etc., with thick, nasty bottom end but not so much that I can't co-exist peacefully with my talented bassist. I play both standard tuning and open D, E, G and I'm trying to get a handle on slide.

Right now I run my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 Combo through a Marshall cab that isn't mine but is at our practice space. The cab provides added volume but I primarily use it to get a beefier low-end sound that my 1X12 combo can't give me. I typically play on the clean channel and use the MXR Micro-Amp and USA Big Muff. The tube sound is classic Marshall, and when the tubes are driven to 10, it screams pretty nicely. I can't complain too much about the quality when the amp isn't acting up. Right now, however, its just not the precise sound I'm looking for.

Additionally, the Marshall combo has been a diva lately with the typical overheating issues, and I'm not entirely happy with my current sound. So I'm debating whether to invest the time and money into furnishing this amp into my rig of the future or selling it and try to turn a profit (got it for cheap) and starting over with a new amp. Essentially my choices are:

1) Refurnish my Marshall DSL 401 with a new speaker (Celestion V30 or Hellatone60 have been recommended), spend some money on some cool pedals (possibly an EQ, MXR blue bog, Digitech Whammy, a better Fuzz than the US Big Muff, octaver, etc. etc.), and buy my own cab.

2) Sell my Marshall and buy a new Combo in the $500-800 price range. I'm looking to buy used, and from what I've seen/heard, a Fender Twin Reverb or Blues Deville may work, but Ampeg, Orange, Vox may be too expensive.

Basically, I'm looking for some advice on whether to stick with my Marshall which I got for a pretty good steal and putting money toward pedals/cab/upgrades, or use that good deal to sell the amp and turn it around into something else. Also, I need some advice on what brand of amp and what type of pedals I should be keeping an eye out for. I'm fairly confident/proud with my skills at guitar and have been playing for 6-7 years, but I'm not very knowledgeable at all in terms of how gear works, the quality of brand names, or what gear is best suited for me. I'm a graduate student in dental school, so all my free time not working in people's mouths is devoted to practicing, writing, or performing, not becoming a gear head.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Re: Keep the Marshall or start over? [message #27655 is a reply to message #27654] Thu, 19 February 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm no expert on guitar amps but I am familiar with the Fender Twin Reverb and various Marshall amps. I'd suggest those are amps you can't go wrong with. Great classic sound, great classic looks.

Re: Keep the Marshall or start over? [message #27656 is a reply to message #27654] Thu, 05 March 2009 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMW is currently offline  DMW
Esquire

I suggest that you add a second cabinet to your Marshall. I am familiar with that amp. The V30 is known to be warmer sounding and have more low-end response. With that in a bottom cabinet near the floor you have plenty of low-end.

I suggest you go to the Avatar Speakers web site. Dave and company build guitar and bass cabinets exclusively. Price is low and build quality is very high. You can get a "vintage" style cab from him that will look nice with your Marshall. He builds several styles. Ask Dave to recommend a speaker that will get you what you are looking for. Look at his web site and you'll see that he has his own amps and cab combinations that he has assembled to verify the resulting tonality.

As far as pedals, check out The Tone Factor. Brad Fee has the world's largest variety of pedals. He's an encyclopedia of pedal knowledge and how to get a particular tone. http://www.tonefactor.com/

Re: Keep the Marshall or start over? [message #59315 is a reply to message #27654] Sun, 31 May 2009 08:21 Go to previous message
borgward is currently offline  borgward
Esquire
I used to use a Silvertone Twin Reverb.It was a 30 watt tube amp w/2 12 inch speakers. I plugged into both channels to get a pretty good Marshall like crunch. Nice for practice and small venues.
Previous Topic: question from a Fender Princeton 65 user
Next Topic: RCA Portable Mixer MI-3420
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:27:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout